Did we mess up?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FlatRockFarmers, Nov 29, 2012.

1. FlatRockFarmers

FlatRockFarmers New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    Hello All.
    We have a year old or so Silver Laced Wyandotte hen, Clara, who had a prolapse last Sunday. We found her in the coop with a leathery looking part of egg hanging out of her. We were able to pull out the remainder of the egg as it was soft, and there was no visible sign of trauma. After that we cleaned her up and did a little research on what to do on this site and others.
    The prolapse was about the size of a cherry so we cleaned everything up and decided to go the Preparation H route and try to reinsert the prolapse back in. This worked for all about 30 seconds or so and then she pushed it right out again. After trying 3 or 4 times to do this thru out the day we gave up and searched for other options. We tried to reinsert again and hold her for a while with a towel on her bum for half an hour or so. This seemed to work untill we set her back down and it immetiately popped back out again!
    Back to the computer for more research! We came across many threads talking about the use of honey. Since we have honeybees and plenty of honey we decided to try that. Still no success with reinserting. We'd get it in and it still popped out! So
    out of frustration we decided to let her be and let nature take its course. There was a thread we found, not sure iif on this site or another, that the person did so and kept treating with honey that the prolapse shrunk and popped in on it's own after a week or so.
    So as of now, we have her in the house. She's in a doggy cage next to the heater to keep her warm with the cage covered with a sheet to keep her from laying any eggs. She's on a maintenance diet of scratch and some oyster shells. We also give her water with poultry electrolytes and some oral antibiotics we had left from the vets from a sick duck we had a while back. She gets her bum cleaned twice a day with antibacterial soap, pattted dry, and then we smear honey or triple antibiotic ointment on and around the protrusion.
    As of now she still poos fine, eats well, and acts like normal little Clara! The real worry we have though is that the tissue is starting to darken and kinda forming a scab over most of the prolapse. We keep it clean and try to cover it with the honey and stuff but it continues to dry. There's no sign of infection, just a little bit of ooze and poo we have to clean off at every cleaning.
    Soooo the question is .....Are we doing the right thing? Has anyone heard of treating this way? Will the "scab" come off and the healed tissue go back in? There's so many questions that it's hard to know if we're doing the right thing or just prolonging the inevitable. It's hard right now to think if we really screwed up with this course or not.

Any input or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You So Very Much,
    Jay & Tonya

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I would keep it clean, maybe even give her warm water soaks with epsom salts and apply prep-h. Keeping her inside is the right thing to do.

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Re: My last post.
    I've had a few, and that's how I've treated them.

4. FlatRockFarmers

FlatRockFarmers New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    Hey Thanks for the advice! We tried the Epsom Salt soak last night and she seemed to really enjoy it after we got her in the pail. It seemed to soften up the tissue some and a bit of it sloughed off when we gave her a gentle scrub after the soak. There's no change in her temperment and she seems in good spirits as well.
    How long did it take to heal up with your birds?

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

My duck spent two weeks in my bathroom, but she was pretty bad, the little hen was just a few days.

6. FlatRockFarmers

FlatRockFarmers New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    Update on Little Clara!

It's approaching two weeks now of daily soaks and cleanings and our little hen is still hangin' in there!
    She's still acting like her normal self and might be starting to lose some feathers after being kept in limited
    light to stop her from laying. The "scab" that formed on her vent is now just about off, I imagine it'll come off
    with tonight's soak. Everything under the scab looks nice and healthy but it still protrudes out a bit. When
    this first happened the prolapse was about the size of a large cherry and now it's gone down to about a quarter
    of that size. I guess our next question would be do we leave it as it is and keep treating with the soaks and
    honey/triple a. ointment or should we try to reinsert the prolapse throughout the week until it stays?
    Any advice?? Anyone?? Any help is super appreciated!

Thanks Again for lookin!
    J&T

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture of it?

8. hhiner

hhiner Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    North Carolina
    My Buff Orp. chick had a prolapse because of constipation, but same basic problem. We just cleaned the area and put honey on it for two days before I put everything back where it belonged. She was too swollen and irritated to reinsert the tissue immediately. We had to wait for the swelling to go down. I would just do the soaks, coat with honey for a few days, and then see how she does.

Good luck and I hope she feels better.

9. FlatRockFarmers

FlatRockFarmers New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses. New update! While cleaning little Clara up this morning the scab finally came off. The prolapse is so much smaller and looks
    like it has nice new, moist, healthy looking tissue. After drying her behind off we smeared some honey on it and gave it a gentle push. It went in the first
    push and stayed in! It popped out a bit when she pooed but went right back in when she was done. It still looks a bit swollen around her vent area but is
    such an improvement from almost two weeks now.

The next question is should we keep doing the epsom soaks or just keep her clean and continue with the honey around the vent? She's still under cover in
    her cage in the house so as to keep her from laying for now. She has also lost quite a few feathers so now we're worried that if she fully recovers that she'll
    be cold when she's back in the coop. Maybe we'll have to keep her in till she starts to grow out some?

Sorry, Casportpony, no pics but maybe we don't need them now!

Thanks Again,
    J&T

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by