did ya ever paint a room and end up not liking the color

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ultra1classic, Sep 22, 2011.

1. ultra1classic

ultra1classic THE FLUFFINATOR

Jul 20, 2009
    Virginia
    Just painted my family room...paint dried and i hate the color! Crap, now i have to paint it again! Darn samples never represent the true color

2. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Aw, I hate that. Fortunately I've never had that problem. However, I have decided that the green I chose for the craft room is actually quite obnoxious and kind of hideous. Apparently I'm spiteful in picking paint colors when I really don't want to paint any more and you make me pick a color anyway. I still like it anyway, although it will definitely need to be repainted sooner than any of the other rooms. It works fine for a craft room where vibrant color helps inspire creativity, but it isn't a restful color at all and won't work very well when we need to convert it to a child's bedroom. Not to mention it will be hard to sell when we go to sell the house.

3. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    my mother always says (and she always gets the color she wants) that you pick your color out on the chip and go at least 2 up the chip and get that color... that way you end up with what you want.

4. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    I did this awhile ago. Painted an upstair bonus room and when it was done didn't really like it. Now I just have to get the motivation to fix it but since we don't go up there much I haven't done anything yet. [​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I recently painted one wall blue, was horrified when it dried, then repainted it yellow, which of course took two coats. Now I wish I'd chosen a green.... Colors look so different on the wall than in the can or even dried on the can lid. Going up two colors wouldn't have worked in this case, it was already too highly colored, but I can see why she said that.

I have lousy luck with this. It's not unusual for me to paint the room twice.

6. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    A little off topic but a good suggestion in repainting, expecially with the same color...I recently did some water damage repairs in a lady's house and needed to repaint one wall. The existing paint was about 30 years old.
    I took a good sized chip to Home Depot and they put it on their computer scanner....It looked a little off, on the dried spot, which they put on top of the can, but you can't really argue with the computer.

Once I got back to the house and started on the wall, it was definitely off.....Well, the computer also picks up on 30 years of aging and grime and includes that into the color.

So, be sure that the sample is clean and match it against the palate selection, before letting them mix the paint.

7. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Yes. Have I repainted it yet? No. Is it hideous? Yes.

8. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    If you don't like the color, you can always try the "ragging off" technique. Basically, you have one color that you paint as the main color (this would be the one you don't like) and you mix glaze with the color you do like, paint small sections over and take a lightly damp rang scrunched up and touch it over the glaze mix. We did this with 2 different blues in my DS room and it came out really cool - kind of like clouds or suede looking. We also did it with a green and cream in our small bathroom (they were colors in the reject bin) and it came out looking like suede... very cool! This way, you don't have to worry about trying to cover up the base color.

Do a google search for the "ragging off" decorative painting technique. There is also a "ragging on" technique.

9. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I'm very conservative on color. I always get a sample of the paint, and paint patches of wall before I make a final selection. Some things look great in full sun, but look hideous on the shaded part of the room. DS wanted a red room, and we tried samples of about 4 reds. On all of them the coverage was horrible, and the color funky. He has a two-toned blue room.

My neighbors had the exterior of their house painted, and left before the painters started. They came home and found their house didn't match the sample, which was an off white. The house has been the most hideous shade of yellow (pale with a very green hue, next to limestone brick) for several years now. Me, I would have made them repaint it.

10. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    yeah.......[​IMG] Imagine Pepto Bismol being green instead of pink..........now imagine four walls in that color, surrounding you in your kitchen.....bleck........

Good luck on the re-paint ultra!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by