Did you buy sexed Silkies from MyPetChicken.com and....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by The Sheriff, Jan 5, 2010.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Were they the correct gender? I bought sexed female silkies and I am wondering if I am going to get a surprise crow one of these days. I saw someone post that the sexing of silkie chicks is impossible and it got me wondering.....[​IMG]

Please share your experience.

Thanks,

Mary

Edited to make sure it was clear I didn't say it couldn't be done that another member on BYC posted it!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2010
  2. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I was planning on ordering sexed silkies in a couple months from MPC and after what I've read here it sounds like it's not really possible to sex silkies as chicks. I'm very interested in hearing the replies as well. So... *bump*

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    How about a bit of trust? You'll know when they start crowing! I hear black chicken is a delicacy in some places. Relax a bit and enjoy your birds for what they are, whatever it is.

4. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Are you kidding me? They sell them for $7.00 extra for sexing so if it's not possible, then they are defrauding the customers. It has NOTHING to do with patience. Why should someone pay $10.00 for the same bird they could pay $3.00 for and then be patient?

2 people like this.
  5. Princess Amri

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:Are you kidding me? They sell them for $7.00 extra for sexing so if it's not possible, then they are defrauding the customers. It has NOTHING to do with patience. Why should someone pay $10.00 for the same bird they could pay $3.00 for and then be patient?

You'll know when they grow up. Give them a bad reputation when we all know they deserve it.

6. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania

I was thinking the same thing. Plus they are hatchery quality birds for $10 a chick which is ridiculous in my opinion if the chick isn't sexed right.

7. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA

I agree with you Warden, I'd much rather only spend $3 and wait if they're could to be wrong anyway! Besides, for the same price as getting a sexed one, you could get three straight run and hope for the best.

8. Princess Amri

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Call me an idiot but why buy them in the first place if you don't trust the company? [​IMG]

9. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:I am not giving them a bad reputation. I bought from them. As I said in my post, someone else posted that it is not possible to sex silkies until they crow or lay and I was simply asking for people's experience who had paid for sexed birds like I did.

10. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:From what The Warden has said so far, she didn't trust the company, she was asking for others experience after reading it wasn't possible to sex silkies. Besides, MPC sells orders that are less than 25 chicks which is highly appealing for some people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by