Did you glue your vinyl flooring to the bottom of the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by joan1708, Jan 8, 2012.

1. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    I read somewhere you should not glue the vinyl flooring in. Seems odd to me. Has anyone else heard that? What did you do in your coop? I've got my vinyl flooring. It will be several weeks before I get it installed (still working on the run). I would love pointers on what works best in a small coop!

2. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    We put linoleum down in 2 of out coops and We glued both down. I haven't had a problem yet except that shovels seen to be kinda hard on the linoleum.

3. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    I have 2 coops one glued and one under the walls since we put it on during building.
    Both ways work well. In the coop that we glued it in we took it up the walls 6 inches and added firing strips to keep the girls from picking at it.
    In the other smaller coop we were able to install the linoleum on basically a platform and put the walls on top of it.
    So far so good no tearing and holding up well. [​IMG]
    I do not know why you should not glue it down. I made sure there was cure time before adding my hens though.

Edited to add
    We use a plastic scoop shovel when we clean the coops.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Yes I did. Just like you would in the house. [​IMG]

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    We put down the vinyl sticky squares in our chicken barn, and the chickens actually pulled a few of them loose, even with lots of pine shavings on top. We're going to have to redo the floor covering at some point now.

I'd suggest gluing the vinyl down, and then maybe even nailing it to the floor around the edges. It will be covered with bedding, and the chickens won't notice. [​IMG]

6. zinia8

zinia8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Reels Corner, PA.
    I glued and then nailed down the edges in the coop

7. farmer_lew

farmer_lew Hi-Tech Redneck

Jun 29, 2010
    In the hills
    I have only put linoleum down in one coop, and I nailed it down. Since shovels can be hard on the linoleum, I figured that it would be easier to change the linoleum if it was nailed down instead of glued.

8. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

We didn't glue it down but we nailed it down by putting molding all around the edges. I wanted to be able to replace it easily if needed, so we could just pull up the molding and remove the vinyl and put new down.

9. chickens usa

chickens usa Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2011
    I been thinking about this too. I think I want to be able to remove the vinyl flooring. Instead of using plywood for the floor I think I'll use boards and leave a small crack (1/8" or butt them up and they'll shrink some) between them. Then when I wash out the coop and hose it down water will drain through the cracks. Maybe a good idea, maybe not.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  10. MontanaChickenLady

MontanaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Beautiful Montana
    We glued the whole floor and then stapled all the edges so they won't come up. If we ever have to put a new floor down, we'll just go right over the top of the current one. I use a plastic dust pan to clean out the shavings from the floor (inside of coop is only 4' x 6'. Works great and I don't gouge the floor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by