Did you know?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Whitehouse Quail, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    For Japanese quail, you should never address them as coturnix quail because coturnix, in Latin, means quail? So you would be basically saying 'quail quail'. Isn't that cool? [​IMG]

2. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    That is FUNNY!! [​IMG]

3. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Yes, coturnix coturnix japonica...literally translated means, Japanese quail quail. We do have to call them something, so people don't get confused. The word "coturnix" is simply a description of the sound (crow) a coturnix male makes. In ancient greco/roman times. It was the sound of what they considered (QUAIL)/(COTURNIX) hence the name. It has even found it's way in the naming of new world quail (Coturnix)=QUAIL, even if they say "BobWhite"

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:??? BOB WHITE = COLINUS VIRGINIANUS???

5. joe125

Sep 20, 2010

Ok...you got me there, but the name has little to with it. Coturnix and bobs are more alike, than not. No matter what you call them!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  6. joe125

Sep 20, 2010
    I think the essence of the OP's premise was...Don't say Coturnix Quail. I'm cool with that. I'm cool with that. I hate repeating myself, I hate repeating myself.

7. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    guy once had a bird dog that was said to be the best in the world,He took the dog to the local bar and was telling the guys about the dogs ability,Of course no one belived him,,The guy swore that the dog was the best pointer in the country,The other guys laughed at him again,,a stranger came into the bar and sat down and ordered a drink,The dog promptly got up,went over to the stranger and struck a beutiful point,The guys did laugh at that one,,the owner of the dog was puzzled,,he asked the stranger,are you a bird hunter?the guy replied,no I have never hunted birds,he was asked,,have you been around quail anytime lately? The guy replied,no,the dog was still on a solid point,the owner was getting a little embarressed..He finally asked the stranger,,What is your name,,Bob White,,,the stranger replied [​IMG]

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.

Ya ought to see the faces mine make when I call them this

10. NeilV

NeilV Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    Can I still say PIN number?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by