1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Did you know?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Matthew3590, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    Did you know that camels are native to North America? Crossed the bearing land bridge into Asia around 50,000BC. Their closest relative is the llama.

Did you know the word INDIAN is Latin for indigenous?

Did you know that the word AMERICA is Italian?

(Don't know if this one is true) But if you call an eskimo an eskimo, they consider it a derogatory word? I have never talked to one though.

Just some things I learned in US history today.

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Australian history is so much more boring. The only thing I've ever gotten out of that is that
    1. there was a white australia policy
    2. some cruel parents ACTUALLY called their son, "Isaac Isaacs"
    3. Federation occured in 1901. Boring, right? [​IMG]

3. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    I believe the preferred term for Native Alaskans (and Native Canadians) is Inuit?

4. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    The term Indian pertaining to Native Americans was given to them by Columbus because he thought he landed in India.

5. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    Quote:I was told he didn't believe he was in India but was in the Indonesian islands.

6. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Also Indian and indigenous have different word roots. Indian is from the word for India, which has always referred to the Indian subcontinent, and indigenous has roots in to Latin words, one of which is the same as the root for gene or gender, meaning the beginning of something.

The camel bit is true.

American is named for an Italian, Amerigo Vespucci. He was the first one to use the term "New World".

Eskimo sort of depends on who you ask. Canada and Greenland don't use the term, Alaskans still do.

Teachers aren't always right nor are textbooks.

Oops, just realized that I'm a total buzzkill.....sorry [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  7. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    mom'sfolly :

Teachers aren't always right nor are textbooks.

[​IMG]

You got that one right [​IMG]

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:The Inuit people are just one of the different tribes of Eskimo. Other cultures besides Eskimo are Athabascan, Tlingit, Haida, and several others I can't remember right now. Those main groups break down into tribes.

So an Inuit is an Eskimo and probably wouldn't care about being called such but an Athabascan or Tlingit wouldn't want to be called an Eskimo because they aren't one.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  9. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Native, rather than Indian, would be an acceptable generic term for the indigenous people of the US, including Alaska and Hawaii. The Canadians generally use the term First People.

And yes, there are Native Alaskans whose cultures do not fit into the Eskimo culture or language group. I think the Aleut are the same language group as the Yupik and Inupiat (Eskimos).

10. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    The other problem with teaching history as well as world cultures is that both are very complicated and full of ethnocentric assumptions. They still need to be taught at the most basic level first.....

When you teach kids about the founding fathers you don't start in on the complications of their slave ownership in 2nd grade..... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by