1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Did you vaccinate for Marek’s?(new baby chicks)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Going Quackers, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    We are getting some Ameraucana chicks in about Mid June... I neglected to add in the vaccinate option obviously I still have time too.

Did you vaccinate your chicks? I have only 4 coming and they will be the only chickens, the other poultry here are ducks(all Muscovy) They are not being housed together either as i have several drakes.

Thanks. [​IMG]

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    This year I had my chick orders vaccinated, but in years past I never did. The only reason I had these vaccinated is because most of them are to be sold. My own personal birds I never have as I've never had the disease show here before.

Still, if ever it does show it's pretty well untreatable and often fatal. If you are not bringing birds in and out and you practice good biosecurity chances are good it will never be a problem.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Thanks. No these ones are just for us, I don't intend on having more than the 4 chickens(yes I know about chicken math lol) but in all seriousness we have 8 Muscovy and one of them that is sitting on about a 1/2 dozen possible additions, so the 4 chickens will be more than enough for us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by