Did your boy act differently from your girl chicks when it was a baby chick?

Curious1234

Chirping
7 Years
May 14, 2012
We have new chicks. One chick is more bolder than the others on top of eating much more and growing/feathering very fast. It's a brave little fella...loves to explore, eat and copy other older chicks. It has a 50/50 chance of being a boy...

I had one chick who behaved like yours, grew faster etc and turned out to be a hen. And a very good layer too!

I purchased day olds, 1 cockerel,5 pullets, from meyer and was told the cockerel had black marker on his foot to identify him. Got home and ALL of the chix had clean feet and didn't know WHICH one was the cockerel BUT after 3-4 days ONE of the chix stood with chest out and was "cocky", sort of like a roo does, and from that day forward we knew who the cockerel was. Still have him as a 2 1/2 yr.old and he's a nasty roo but we've learned to discourage him. he just became dad to 10 broody hatched chix.(NO idea of their sex yet-toooo many of them!)
hmm.png

Haven't noticed any particular differences as they all have individual characters anyway. Sometimes I have been sure I worked out which were which and been totally wrong.

I have noticed lots of differences between male and female chicks....mostly the males are the ones that seem to be the most laid back/friendly/outgoing/cuddly while the girls are very nervous/flighty/standoffish. The males will also stand taller and keep a closer eye on everything that goes on. However, it is not an accurate sign when the younger babies chestbutt or play spar...I have noticed that all of them do that between 2 and 7 weeks while they figure out the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom