Did your chicken act weird before she laid her first egg?

new chick 203

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 8, 2010
Ridgefield CT
My BLRW, Honoria is acting odd, and I really hope it's her first egg coming on. She's 36 weeks old. She is the alpha hen and always the first to any food, treats anything that looks interesting at all - she is first in line. Today she was more interested in hanging out under the coop in an area she bowled out like a nest. She looks perfectly healthy, but I lost one of my girls a few weeks ago, so I am very sensitive to odd behavior. Thanks.

She could be getting ready to lay
big_smile.png

My first egg from our silkie, she sang, squocked, clucked, and paraded around the night before like she was a queen... didn't know that we would get our first egg the next morning... strange... I was wondering want was going on until morning then I knew.. Good Luck!

I haven't been around to observe all of my chickens before their first lay, but with one in particular, I noticed some very odd behavior. She was sort of pacing back and forth around the back yard and kept going and sitting in the nest box, then coming out and pacing, then going back in. She was also being a lot noisier than usual. Right after she laid her first egg she was back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom