Did your chicken act weird before she laid her first egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by new chick 203, Jan 29, 2011.

1. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    My BLRW, Honoria is acting odd, and I really hope it's her first egg coming on. She's 36 weeks old. She is the alpha hen and always the first to any food, treats anything that looks interesting at all - she is first in line. Today she was more interested in hanging out under the coop in an area she bowled out like a nest. She looks perfectly healthy, but I lost one of my girls a few weeks ago, so I am very sensitive to odd behavior. Thanks.

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    She could be getting ready to lay [​IMG]

3. TheWaddler

TheWaddler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Quote:Wow, 36 weeks with no egg. Hope you get one soon!!

4. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    Quote:Wow, 36 weeks with no egg. Hope you get one soon!!

I have a bantam Cochin that's 40 weeks with no egg yet. Am I doing something wrong?!

5. todtrac

todtrac Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    My first egg from our silkie, she sang, squocked, clucked, and paraded around the night before like she was a queen... didn't know that we would get our first egg the next morning... strange... I was wondering want was going on until morning then I knew.. Good Luck!

6. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    I haven't been around to observe all of my chickens before their first lay, but with one in particular, I noticed some very odd behavior. She was sort of pacing back and forth around the back yard and kept going and sitting in the nest box, then coming out and pacing, then going back in. She was also being a lot noisier than usual. Right after she laid her first egg she was back to normal.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mine have always been very vocal the day they lay, and they pace back and forth to the coop.

8. elmcc

elmcc Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    MI
    Sounds like a woman in labor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by