Did your chickens get more friendly/cuddly after laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by undergroundchickens, Aug 6, 2010.

1. undergroundchickens

undergroundchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    My two Rhode Island reds are laying now and I have noticed that they are much more friendly and love to really cuddle in my lap. They did this (cuddle) as chicks as well but sort of grew out of it. Now that they are laying they are super sweeties again. They actually leave the flock during free range time to sit in my lap if I am outside. They actually peck lightly at my clothes until I sit down to hold them. Is this normal? Can I expect the same of my other girls that loved to cuddle as chicks after they start to lay?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, I have noticed the same. They go through the don't kill me stage, then when they start laying, they get friendly again.

3. gardenak

gardenak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Douglas, AK
    Mine did. when they were real little they stayed pretty clear of me (with the exception f 1) but once they started laying, all I have to do is go near the coop and here they come a runnin! [​IMG]

4. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    If my 12 wk old babies get any tamer when they start to lay, I don't know what I'll do. As it is, they all want to snuggle around my neck if I sit down in the back yard. I guess I could carry them with me when I work in the garden in little 'snuggies'... LOL
    [​IMG]

5. undergroundchickens

undergroundchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    Thank you. I sure hope my other ladies get super friendly again. Glad to hear there is a great chance of it.

noodleroo....now there are some happy chickens. [​IMG]

6. 2dogs1cat

2dogs1cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Noodleroo, I love the one sitting on your foot [​IMG]

My EE has become very clingy since she started laying. I can hold her and pet her and she just loves it.

7. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:They look like they're waiting in line for petting, don't they? I had to take the pictures with one hand and that only left one hand to pet with!

8. Bosaw

Bosaw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Mooresville, In
    My five chickens have always been friendly and curious, pecking at anything, even my wedding ring. Maybe they have associated me with food...

My kids go to pick them up and the STOP, Squat and spread their wings a bit. I didn't notice a change in behavior at anytime, before laying, just before laying, or now, after they are full fledged egg layers. I am getting four eggs a day. I am soon to get a fifth when the youngest starts.

9. CathyRN

CathyRN Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    Sevier County, TN
    Great pics [​IMG] I have 9 pullets, almost 6 months old. All are laying. [​IMG] With our flock the friendliness depends on the breed. Our buff orpington hates to be held....will kick and scream. [​IMG] But our barred rocks follow us around and will squat down in preparation for a "pick up". We have 2 easter eggers that knock on our back deck window for food and treats, and they follow us around all the time. All of the birds eat out of our hands. But the friendlies are the easter eggers and barred rocks. We do have 2 Delaware's that have come around and tolerate getting picked up too, but they aren't as warm and cuddly. Barred rocks and easter eggers rock ! [​IMG]

10. erin76

erin76 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Battle Ground, WA
    I was noticing the same thing...I have 5 girls, 1 of my Gold Sex-links has started laying in the past week (at 17 weeks!) She was almost being aggressive just before she started..now she follows us around and lets the kids pick her up! The others are still skittish....there may be hope for them yet!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by