1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Did your hatch rates improve with a fully automatic incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gypsy07, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Interested in hearing from people who upgraded to incubators with fully automatic humidity regulators.

Did you notice a big improvement in hatch rates?

Or did it just make incubating simpler but your hatch rates stayed about the same?

2. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    bump

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Gypsy, I *started* with an incubator with an auto-turner. I did upgrade to 'bators with humidity pumps, but I have no "before" for comparison, sorry!

4. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:So did I! I was really wondering about the ones with the auto-humidity function. Trying to decide if I should upgrade to one too. How did your hatch rates compare once you had auto-humidity as well as auto-turning? Did you notice much of a difference?

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I use the dry hatch method with my styro incubators, but honestly, I can say there's nothing like an R-Com incubator, and if I have an egg that was fertile not make it out of the shell, I'm surprised. It's like a broody!

6. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    I added an automatic humidity bucket to the GQF cabinets, hatch rate was the same but I had been refilling the humidity container often and keeping it stable, still really glad we added the bucket it saved me a lot of time with the last big hatches, also I don't have to open the door to add water (never did run out at lockdown but the fear is always in my mind)

The little incubator we have is a King suro 20 digital unit with a humidity pump that is also digitally controlled, comparing it to dealing with the cabinet it really does makes the whole incubation and hatch much easier, just pushing buttons and the humidity goes just to where you want it. I can set up hatches at my son's school and not have so many worries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by