Did your hens start laying later than 24 weeks? Help frustrated!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by McCoop, Nov 5, 2011.

1. McCoop

McCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Ramona
    I'm a newbie to raising chickens. I have two hens born in the middle of March this year and both were laying the first week of August (a California white and Orpington). The four others that are younger and now 24 weeks are not laying. Two are easter eggers, a black copper maran and rhode island red. Not one is squatting. Combs are a little redder. I just find it peculiar that nothing is happening. Even have great weather here in Southern Cal and they gobble up lay pellet and yogurt even get to spend afternoons free ranging. They go in the hen house and watch the two older lay as if they are interested yet nothing.

I know, I want to hold onto my patience and I'm having a hard time.

If your hens took longer to lay please share.

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I personally have noticed that every easter egger I have ever had seems to be a late layer...Im in the same boat with you...I am still waiting...my girls just turned 21 weeks though...it is so infuriating that wait!

3. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    I have two purebred Silver Ameraucanas....32 weeks and I've decided they are sterile lawn ornaments! ARGH!!! [​IMG]

4. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:ha ha at least they are beautiful lawn ornaments!

5. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I have 3 EE who's combs are still small & turning reddish, born mid May. If they start laying this year I will be happy, but they are not squatting & my roo is not pestering them. So they to me they are not even close.

6. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    ...that is a really good reason to keep a roo! At least then I would know when my pullets were about to lay!

7. Gmasandy

Gmasandy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    I am a newbie too. We got 5 random breed of chickens in March. 2 are Orpingtons, and the others a are just cute! Anyway, it was really close to 6 months before we got our first egg. Then it took a couple or so more weeks to really get going. We now get 4 or 5 eggs everyday.

8. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    My three girls started between 25 and 29 weeks.

9. ChickenLove123

ChickenLove123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    I have three hens.

White leghorn/blue orpingon cross started at 19 weeks
    Black sex link started at 27 weeks
    Aracauna still hasn't laid, and she'll be 28 weeks this weekend.

Sigh. The wait is soooooo long.

10. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    From this year's hatch I still have one olive egger that hasn't begun to lay - 37 weeks. Her sister just began giving me gorgeous olive eggs about a week ago. I was beginning to wonder, but it's worth the wait - I love those olive eggs! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by