Didn't eggspect this..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Billy Hill, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Billy Hill

Billy Hill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Rural San Diego
    My two black hens suddenly grew a big hump on their back near the tails yesterday. I figured they were ready to start laying. Sure enough, 3 birds on the ground with one in the box scratching and kicking at the wood. After she came down I peeked in and saw this $500.00+ golden nugget.

[​IMG]

It's tiny but it looks pretty good. Should have another coming this weekend from the looks of things.

2. DaddyBird

DaddyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    congrats. That wait for the first egg is the most excruciatingly slow wait ever.

3. Billy Hill

Billy Hill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Rural San Diego
    This first one was cracked on the end so I was a little nervous about eating it. The other black hen laid one yesterday as I suspected, only it didn't have a shell to speak of. Haven't seen anything from the two red's yet.

4. DaddyBird

DaddyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    The first few are usually malformed and/or small. If the shells continue to be thin, be sure to make sure you are giving them proper calcium preferably with a good layer feed. Also, oyster shell can be a good supplemental source.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by