Didn't get what we wanted, and its still cool!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by 19quail, Mar 23, 2013.

1. 19quail

19quail Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    New member here in the Orlando area. Lots of questions to come I'm sure but we're off to a start.

Wife and I decided to try raising quail for eggs and meat after listening to a podcast on the subject. I built a two level 2x5' pen with one main area on top and two breeding pens on the bottom. We were looking for jumbo brown eggs but only found a person on Craigslist with chics. So we ended up with 19 standard brown coturnix quail about two weeks old to raise. Just got our first three eggs and couldn't be happier with the project.

I really wish we had started here. It would have given us some info to end up with what we were after originally. That being said we are looking for a breeder where we can acquire actual jumbo hatching eggs. If anyone has an idea, local to central FL would be nice, please let us know.

We have discussed ordering hatching eggs from C&M Gamebirds, but it'd be nice to find someone local and honest.

Keith

2. White Leghorn

White Leghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    Hello and [​IMG] from Western NC! PM me with any questions you have!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] and welcome to BYC and the quail forums! This is the place to be for all those quail questions. [​IMG]

4. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    I did a lot of google searches on quail and a majority of them led me to the Quail forum here at BYC. After lurking, I finally joined. There is definitely a great amount of experience here. There is a search tool at the top (nine chances out of ten, the question has already been asked in the past), and if you still can't find it, just ask.

Hey, you don't have chickens, do you?

5. 19quail

Mar 23, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Nope, the neighbor has the chickens. We had to be different.

I just weighed what I think is the third egg from one hen and the second from another. They were 8.6 and 12.7 grams respectively. I hope things get bigger!

Keith

6. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Speaking about "getting bigger", check out this link... I've been told they have restored the Texas A&M quail to their original size of sixteen ounces or larger. The same program is being used on the pharaoh XLD to restore the pharaoh XLD-1 back to its original 18-ounce size.

The comment about "chickens" has to do with an inside joke that I'm using to save money.

And good luck with the Quail.

7. JoshRonin

JoshRonin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Welcome 19quail. Was the podcast TSP? I just got started with quail too because of that podcast.

I like that link, plenty of types to choose from. Was searching ebay over the past week and noticed listings for jumbos that mostly ranged around 14 oz and only 1 seller with with eggs that went to 16 and over. I just got my chicks 3 days ago from a local breeder, and they are an assortment of sizes. It looks like they are just hatching whatever eggs they get, so some quail are just tiny little things. They aren't jumbo's, but I can see how the jumbo class could shrink if the breeders don't cull to keep the size big. I'm already looking mine over and planning who to keep and who to grow for supper.

8. 19quail

Mar 23, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    It was the TSP podcast! And I have eggs coming from JMF this week. If I get a good hatch ill cull all my birds and start over after these start laying.

Keith

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by