1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Didn't go to bed with the rest of the flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jcmason, Oct 15, 2014.

1. jcmason

jcmason New Egg

Jul 13, 2014
    One of our five 5-Month-old girls didn't go to bed with the others like usual. We found her laying on top of the fridge on the porch. My husband got her down and we examined her but nothing seemed wrong. We put her in the coop but she acted like she didn't want to go to bed. This is really unusual behavior. Any ideas? Thanks so much!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hope your girl is acting OK today. If she is acting find otherwise and continues not to want to go into the coop at night, you might take a look at the roosting arrangements. Make sure there is plenty of roosting space and the roosts are comfortable and easy to get on for the hens. Often the lower ranking birds will wind up not wanting to go into the coop if there is a dominant or bully bird guarding the door or chasing them off of the roosts when it comes time to go to bed.

1 person likes this.
  3. jcmason

jcmason New Egg

Jul 13, 2014
    My husband said she seems to be acting fine today, so that's good. Yes, she is the smallest of them all so I could see that. We'll definitely keep an eye on her and their behavior towards her. They all usually get along pretty well so we'll see. Thanks so much for the information, I feel much better now. :)

4. jcmason

jcmason New Egg

Jul 13, 2014
    It seems that some of the others are picking on her for some reason. All of a sudden the RIRs are becoming little bullies. They have one of those prefab coops. There isn't much room to roost, so they just lay on the straw I put in there. The two RIRs and the one they pick on are the only ones who lay eggs so far. I just don't understand the bullying. They free range all day so they're not confined in a small space or anything. *sigh* :/

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hatchery Rhode Island Reds especially tend to be pretty dominant birds, and often seem to turn into bullies. If your coop is crowded and you can't enlarge it, I would consider putting pinless peepers on the problem birds (or re-homing them), crowded conditions, even if just for roosting/sleeping will often lead to bully behavior. Not sure if you have seen it, but there is a nice article in the Learning Center on bully behavior in chickens. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bullying-behavior-in-chickens If there is not much roosting space right now, is there any place you could add some (2x4s wide side up are really popular roosts). You might want to post a picture of your coop in the Coop/Run forum to see if anyone has suggestions about rearranging the space etc.

6. jcmason

jcmason New Egg

Jul 13, 2014
    Thanks so much for the information! My husband plans to convert a shed attached to the back of our garage to a larger coop soon. It's just finding the time and we want to do it right the first time. I'll try the roosting 2x4s to see if that might help in the meantime. Thanks again!!! :)

7. jcmason

jcmason New Egg

Jul 13, 2014
    Also, it's funny because the 'leader' is a BR and I haven't witnessed her being mean to Lucy, who is an Americauna (sp?). We have two Americaunas and the other one is quite a bit bigger.
    Lol, chicken drama! As if I didn't have enough regular drama. Haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by