Didn't know weasels stink so bad

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by darin367, Dec 8, 2011.

1. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    After i lost my entire flock a couple weeks ago, i declared a varmit war.... so far i've got 5 possum, 1 coon and 2 weasels... first of all i didn't even know i had weasels around here... second, i guess when trapped they release some type of stink bomb.... almost smells like a skunk.... so the varmit war will continue, the fortress got a re-design and now has been re-named fort knox...... eggs in the bator and looking forward to starting my new flock and hopefully doing a better job of protecting them.....

2. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    yep, they have stinky musk glands, just like ferrets and muskrats (and skunks!)

3. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    hopefully you win the war and your next flock is safe [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  4. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    FYI, weasels LOVE anise. [​IMG] Bait your traps with it.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yeah, weasels are stinky little buggers.

I didn't know I had them around my yard, but I kept smelling this nasty stench on some mornings during morning chores. I didn't think much of it until I took my young daughter to this kids' science museum where they had samples of musk from various animals. I was surprised when I stuck my nose into one of the samples and..By golly, that's the stench I keep randomly smelling around my yard...wow...weasel, huh?...GREAT...as if I didn't have enough to worry about... That science museum also informed me that I have foxes routinely traveling through my yard, as well. They are also pretty whiffy.

Good luck in the new set-up. Might I recommend electric fencing surrounding your Fort Knox? I have found it to be essential in keeping my flock alive. I live in a wildlife corridor and predators are my biggest challenge living here. The electric fencing gives a great peace of mind.

6. littleoak

littleoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Ashmore IL 61912
    Years ago I caught a black mink in my chciken yard. I decided it would be fun to skin it and save the pelt. That's when I found out that minks had a very nasty scent gland. I had to throw my knife away. Also had no pelt to keep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by