Didnt pip external membrane

AndieRules

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2021
I had two eggs pip this morning. One completely hatched when I came
home from work. The other looked exactly the same as when I left this for work morning. I flaked off a chip of the shell and noticed he didn’t break the external membrane. What do I need to do?
I attached a picture for reference and I did open the bater to add a damp paper towel to increase humidity.

Attachments

• A9FFC68F-7E69-4189-BCBC-933AB6365499.jpeg
    A9FFC68F-7E69-4189-BCBC-933AB6365499.jpeg
    311 KB · Views: 13
Did your duckling make progress? It looks like a "bruise" where it pipped; I'd be inclined to open just a small safety hole in the membrane at the pip to ensure that the duckling can get air, and give it time to progress at its own pace - waterfowl tend to take longer to hatch than chickens do.

You'll find more info about assisting in this article. Best wishes for your hatch.

Thank you so much for the feedback. I did see him rubbing his bill on the membrane. I made a safety hole and he stuck his bill out a bit. The hole was a little bigger when I came home from work but not a lot of progress. He responds to my voice by moving around a bit and he’ll chirp at me. So I guess I’ll just be patient and let him go at his own pace. However in the morning will be 24 hrs with the hole in the membrane. At what timeline would I assist the hatch?? I’m willing to be patient as I am not knowledgeable enough to feel 100% comfortable with the assist but I 100% am willing to if/when necessary. Plus my other little hatched guy desperately needs a friend!!! Also is it supposed to be 90 degrees underneath the light for the hatchling? I thought I read that but now I can’t find it. We made the shower his brooder so he has plenty of room to move away from the heat.

Thank you so much for the feedback. I did see him rubbing his bill on the membrane. I made a safety hole and he stuck his bill out a bit. The hole was a little bigger when I came home from work but not a lot of progress. He responds to my voice by moving around a bit and he’ll chirp at me. So I guess I’ll just be patient and let him go at his own pace. However in the morning will be 24 hrs with the hole in the membrane. At what timeline would I assist the hatch?? I’m willing to be patient as I am not knowledgeable enough to feel 100% comfortable with the assist but I 100% am willing to if/when necessary. Plus my other little hatched guy desperately needs a friend!!! Also is it supposed to be 90 degrees underneath the light for the hatchling? I thought I read that but now I can’t find it. We made the shower his brooder so he has plenty of room to move away from the heat.
90 degrees is good for the first week. Every now and again I'll have a little one that 90 is too warm for, so I'll move the lamp to make it 85.

Back
Top Bottom