1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Didn't really know where to put this... prices of chickens and roosters .

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by reyecat, Feb 6, 2015.

1. reyecat

reyecat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    I just want to make sure I'm being reasonable here....

What would you pay for a purebred Dorking Rooster and no one in the area was giving any away for free? $15? especially if the person was not really willing to sell as they were keeping the bird for meat?

How about year old hens? Lavender Orpington? These ones they are very willing to sell but I feel $15/ea is a bit steep for year old birds.

After I get a few answers i can give you some back story :)

Thanks!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I don't pay much for roosters, admittedly, but if you need one and can't find one, I think $15 is reasonable if he's a decent representation of his breed.
    As for the lavender Orps, they go for big money where i live. I see them being advertised for anywhere from $20-30 each. I think $15 is a pretty fair price for them. They should give you another good few years of egg production. My buffs were pretty good layers (when they weren't broody) well into their 4th and 5th years.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If the seller doesn't want to sell, and you really, really want the item, you pretty much have to pay whatever the seller wants to bone you for.

Around here, my mixed breed pullets/hens sell for $20 each, so I'd imagine a lav Orp would go for minimum $30. I don't start dropping the price for age until they hit 3 years, then I bump them down to $15 or $10.

4. reyecat

reyecat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    I decided to delete this post... it's just coming off as unnecessarily gossipy :( and i don't want to be that. Thanks for helping me out peeps :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by