Didn't think I'd be here again any time soon..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by asher, Mar 1, 2008.

1. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Went to a chicken show today and didn't find any chickens that I wanted, but saw that Star Cochins had hatching eggs for sale...so I bought tw dozen.

I have no incubator any more. At all. [​IMG] It was too good to pass up, though and I figured I could work something out.

Imagine how thrilled I was to come home to a broody hen! WOOHOO!

That should take care of some...but what about the others? hehe My neighbor had a incubator and turner she wanted to sell last year so I am going to see if she still has it and would let me borrow it with the promise of a few pullets when I'm done with it. [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It's like riding a bike...you never forget...!!...Once a chicken addict, always a chicken addict!...LOL

What did you do with all those pretty birdies you use to have Asher?....

3. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Tuff ~ which ones? hehe I found homes for the majority with friends or people from my NCPoultry group that I knew would spoil and pamper them as much as I would. hehe We are down to a trio of black cochins and a trio of buff cochins, all bantams. A very good friend of mine has the majority of my stock that I hatched out last year and said any time I want some back, to let he rknow so that's nice.

I just wish I had more hands and time in the day. [​IMG]

I am still wanting some bantie polish badly, but am convinced it's just not meant to be. hehe The only time I've found them is when I didn't need them or have room for them. [​IMG]

4. chickhamm

chickhamm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Those silkies i got from you last summer are doing great asher, i did loose 1 but out of the 10 left, i ended up with 3 boys and 7 girls. I found a home for one of the roos and will be spliting the girls between the remaining two boys. They are really coming out to be some very nice looking silkies.

Over the summer i'm hopping to get as many eggs from them hatched as possible. I'm also going to look for some more buff silkies to add to them and expand the gens. I just hatched out 7 silkies from dipsy doodle, i think, 4 splash, 2 blues and one with alot of brown in it (??)

chickhamm
    Theressa

5. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Theressa ~ I am so glad to hear it. Did you keep any of the cochins? If so, how did they grow out? We hatched some beauties out last year. It was incredibly hard (and yes, sad) to downsize, but it was definitely the best decision for all of us (kids, animals and myself! hehe) at the time. I still miss going out and seeing all of those beautiful birds, though. The barn sure does feel empty, but I'm trying to be good (mostly! hehe).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  6. chickhamm

chickhamm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    I wasnt able to get any of the cochins, just the silkies.

chickhamm

7. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Oh, I thought some had hatched out for you in the first batch last year. I coulda swore I'd sold you a batch and they'd hatched before we were going to trade the 2nd batch. [​IMG] I'm probably thinking of someone else. [​IMG] My memory is far from great, that's for sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by