Didn't toss the egg out

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by seminolewind, Jul 12, 2008.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I candled day 7 and had 3 active movement, and one just looked like stuff floating around inside the egg, no movement of it's own. But I decided to put it back for 3 more days , and it's alive!!!! Thank God I didn't just toss it.

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I don't look for movement, just veins and some sort of development.

It's a good thing you spend so much time at the computer reading about candling. [​IMG]

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Never throw out a questionable egg here til day 14 candling!!...I have almost done the same thing a few times...learned my lesson long ago!.... sometimes you don't see movement!!!...

4. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I had a small egg with a free-floating yolk, and no veins that I could see, but I kept it anyway. That's Sparky. He's a week old, and as cute a bug! Good luck! [​IMG]

5. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Oh no. I always toss the floaters. Now I feel stupid, well more than usual.

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    That described it, a floater. But it kicks now, LOL.
    Nice, Robin, Sparky is one lucky chick

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Well, it's better than sleeping my life away.

8. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    PC - don't feel bad about tossing the floaters. Sparky is a runt, and he might not make it anyway. I read that runts often have organ problems. We'll see.

9. I've gotten to the point that I question myself when candling and tossing because of past errors. Now nothing gets tossed unless it is smelly or leaking until after the hatch is complete...except clears. I used to think eggs had "bloodrings" but discovered it was just the vein network forming around the the circumference of the egg. I lost a few to that error. Now I just wait it out. Never had an "exploder" though.

10. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:I had two exploders. Those are the main reason I even started candling.
    They exploded when I cracked them open on day 22 to see what happened.
    It was pretty nasty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: