Didn't want to take over the Northern Winters thread- so here's questions for Southeast Winters :)

I just put all six of them in the coop. They were like "Hey! What the....??" They all fit in there comfortably at least. Let them come out on their own accord, which was pretty much as soon as I turned my back to fill their water, lol. Still contemplating swapping out the pool with that big box dog house I posted above- only for the cold months. I've got an upgraded vision for their pool come spring, and plan to research DIY bio filters over the winter.

So....that dog house I posted above....good addition, or make them get used to the coop? The coop sure does LOOK nicer, and if I can get them happily going in with some coaxing rather than having to hand load each one in, that would be preferable to the ugly dog house, but I figure, at least with the dog house, maybe they'd be more apt to use it during the day for shelter if I tossed some hay in there and made a wind-resistant entrance? (I'm thinking more of a tunnel or something, rather than a door flap.)
If you got them in once I'd keep them going inside their house it sure looks safer if it has a door. Lower the house and put on a door so you can lock them inside over night. But the dog house would make a nice place to get in out of the weather during the day time. Honestly they will get use to going in for a night and you'll sleep better. Mine just sit and wait for me to come outside around 5pm to start putting everyone to bed sometimes a few are already inside. Please don't ever think just because you haven't seen a raccoon they aren't around they are every where. And the opossum will maybe not kill one of your ducks but it will sure help itself to a dead one. Not only do we have Raccoons here in NC but Mink are notorious from killing and weasel, fox and bob cat ,coyote are even in suburbs. I am not trying to make you lose sleep I just would not be able to sleep if I didn't warn you of the dangers your ducks are in.. Just recently someone posted their ducks had been mutilated over night, they had been leaving them outside too. I'll get you the link if you like? Another on the Muscovy thread just lost some of his Muscovy's because they liked to stay out in the yard over night. Ducks don't realize the dangers, it is up to us to protect them.

I'll get you the best diagram on clipping I have found very easy to do, I clip everyone of mine but my 2 drakes after they molt each year. Drakes aren't going anywhere with females around lol.
LL

Last edited:
Miss Lydia, you've been so forthcoming with your abundance of knowledge and I truly appreciate your guidance and intuition. Thank you for helping me keep my babies more safe. I'd be horrified if I had to go out to the after effects of something very bad happening. I felt terrible enough when my goofball dog chased the ducks into their pen and one of them gouged his head trying to get under something to hide. Talk about sad mommy moment! I don't know what I'd do if I came out to worse. I saw those other threads and felt so bad for the posters. :(

Their current coop does have a door on it, and a latch. They will be safe and sound in there. Was thinking some 'mud flap' style doors on the big one for daytime shelter. I'll work with my husband to lower the coop, which I would imagine would make it a lot more inviting than marching up that ramp! LOL

Thanks again for your help, and for the wing clipping guide, too! I might wuss out and ask if my vet could maybe demonstrate in person for me before I try myself. Or maybe my groomer? LOL

Miss Lydia, you've been so forthcoming with your abundance of knowledge and I truly appreciate your guidance and intuition. Thank you for helping me keep my babies more safe. I'd be horrified if I had to go out to the after effects of something very bad happening. I felt terrible enough when my goofball dog chased the ducks into their pen and one of them gouged his head trying to get under something to hide. Talk about sad mommy moment! I don't know what I'd do if I came out to worse. I saw those other threads and felt so bad for the posters. :(

Their current coop does have a door on it, and a latch. They will be safe and sound in there. Was thinking some 'mud flap' style doors on the big one for daytime shelter. I'll work with my husband to lower the coop, which I would imagine would make it a lot more inviting than marching up that ramp! LOL

Thanks again for your help, and for the wing clipping guide, too! I might wuss out and ask if my vet could maybe demonstrate in person for me before I try myself. Or maybe my groomer? LOL
Actually my dad showed me how to clip the first time long before I found this guide, always nice to see it done first before attempting it your self, wish I was closer I'd show you how. It's actually very easy once you have done it a time or too.

I think you'll get it worked out, please come back and share it all when done so others can be inspired.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom