Didn't want to!

thudson

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Gatesville Texas
Today was a sad day for me. I have had a new Easter egger rooster for about 2 years that was given to me. That rooster has always been very aggressive to my wife so I kept him isolated, But today he was acting like he didn't feel good so I went in to check on him. Then all of a sudden he attacked me and was relentless. So I don't think I had any choice so I put him down. I hate doing this, I have only done that 3 times in my life and don't enjoy that part of raising chickens. He was like losing a friend. All my chickens are like family. So I hope I did the right thing!

I know everyone has differing opinions on aggressive roosters, but I think you did the right thing. It's very aggravating to be attacked, and not everyone has time or patience to try to re-educate an aggressive bird. And if he was already being aggressive to your wife, then he needs to go to freezer camp or simply be put down (if he's too old and tough to eat). There are so many nice roosters out there, why waste time with the meanies? (again, some people have the time and know-how to tame a mean rooster, but it sounds like you did the right thing). *offers condolences*

I feel your pain one of my Bantam roo's a porcelian D'uccle just will not leave my wife alone so far she is being good natured about it and try try trying to get him to behave. We are getting five straight run porcelain D'uccles in april from Cackle Hatchery he has been put on notice that when one of them proves to be a roo and has better traits he will be in freezer camp. he just wont stop.

You did the right thing. There is never a good reason to keep a bad roo.
I have had this rooster about 2 years now and I tried every trick in all the books. He would do better for a little while but always went back to his bad ways. He was such a beautiful rooster but mean as the devil. I gave him all the chances I could. He actually cut me pretty bad yesterday. So I feel it was the right thing to do. Just hate having to do it!

Back
Top Bottom