Died....Alive???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlove2009, Apr 8, 2009.

1. chickenlove2009

chickenlove2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    I candled my eggs and one of the babies was not moving at all. It is on day 16 today. I moved the egg back and forth slightly and the baby moved with the egg but beside that it did not moving.

Can embryos sleep?

Does anyone think it could still be alive?

I really want some feedback on this. It is my favorite embryo.

2. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    Yes they can sleep just like human babies. Did you see any veins? I'd check it again in a couple of days.

3. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    All mine that have died so far didn't have any visiable veins. They had veins the day before and then they just dissapeared. So now that I can't clearly see into the eggs I just look for a vein and call it good!

4. LadyShred

LadyShred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Alabama
    The only way I know for sure that a chick is dead is if I see a blood ring. That's the sure-fire way to tell if its dead. Veins may not always be noticeable as the chick does move quite a bit. Look up candling eggs on youtube - there's some pretty wicked crap that goes on inside that shell.

But yes, they do rest. Give it another day or a couple and candle it again. He may flip out. ^_^

Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  5. chickenlove2009

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    thanks everyone

yes i can see veins

and no blood ring that i can tell

6. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Then for as long as you don't have stinky leaking, you're golden to let the sucker keep going. Best of luck.

7. chickenlove2009

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    thanks, i really really really want this one to make it.

8. jasonbennett1

jasonbennett1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Quote:I'm curious as to what about this embryo makes it your favorite?

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I really want some feedback on this. It is my favorite embryo.

You do know the saying of don't count your chickens before they hatch right? Picking out a favorite now seems like a good way to set yourself up for disappointment. It may not hatch. It may be a roo. It may be some weird ugly color that you hate. It may have a horrible personality and attack you or refuse to let you near it. I don't even pick favorites before they feather.

If you see good veins it was alive at least in the past day or so and you shouldn't ever see good veins with a blood ring. The blood ring forms because the blood drains out of the veins after the chick dies and pools around the embryo. I've yet to have a good egg I couldn't see veins in. You just have to look at the right spot. Along the air sac works best. Often the only way I can tell a good egg on dark shelled eggs, quail eggs, etc... is by the veins along the edge of the air sac.​

10. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    Quote:I'm curious as to what about this embryo makes it your favorite?

How funny, I have a favorite too. [​IMG]
    Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by