Dieing Chick!!! Help! Water Logged!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickenuser, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Chickenuser

Chickenuser Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    [​IMG] Last night my water tank for my chicks tipped over. I am not blaming any one but myself for putting it on wood so they would not poop in it.
    But when it tipped, it flooded the entire place, (1 gallon), and all the chicks were water logged.
    They all tried to get to the light to dry, but in doing so they trampled two of the new chicks, killing one, and injuring another.
    They would not let the baby chicks near the light, so when I woke up, I looked in, took all of them out, at the bottom, I found the injured chick, (my dad took the dead one), I took the injured out. It was shivering and not standing up right, it would fall over.
    I took now 3 babies and put them in a shoe box, seperate from the other 15, so they could get warm. I put three regular lights on them so they could dry.
    What should i do to prevent this from happening again?
    Should I get a different water jug?

2. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    If the waterer is one made for poultry, then keep it. I use concrete blocks under mine without problem. I would say that the wood block you have underneath allows an imbalance if the birds can knock it over. Maybe a bigger piece of wood? I use a 1 gallon-pretty hard to knock over.

I'm sorry about your babies!

3. Chickenuser

Chickenuser Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    Thanks. I was really sad this morning.
    They are all just wet now. [​IMG] But still eating more than ever.
    I am just going to leave the waterer alone and see what happens.

The injured one is doing better, but it is having a hard time getting food b/c the rest are pushing him away. I put a pile of food next to him and he got to eat. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by