Dieing? Emergency

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by clifford258, Aug 24, 2013.

1. clifford258

clifford258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    Greeneville,TN
    I had 19 eggs under a hen well 2 hatched without problem 2 more the egg had over half of the egg shell gone but the membrane had dried up they died in the egg over night they couldnt get out. Another this evening the egg had half of the shell gone but the membrane was still intact i help the chick come out and it started bleeding so i put it in incubator and the chick just poped out of the remaining of the egg..... Well ever since the chick is just laying like it is still inside the egg! What in the world should i do to get this chick up and moving?????

2. clifford258

Apr 17, 2013
    Greeneville,TN
    I just picked the little thing up and i can hear a clicking noise when the chick breathes please help me guys

3. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    The humidity may have been too high in the incubator and the poor little guy started drowning. On the other hand, too little humidity under the hen because of the shrink wrap. Just be prepared for the worst and hope for the best with your little guy. I'd keep him in the incubator until he's dry. Also, 19 eggs under one hen is way too many. Most hens can only successfully incubate 8 or so.

4. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    i would leave it alone in the incubator and let it regain strength if it was bleeding. I only had 1 survive after it bled and that one is doing awesome but it laid in the bator for over an hour before it even moved. i wish you the best.....

5. clifford258

Apr 17, 2013
    Greeneville,TN
    Sorry didnt clearify there was two hens sitting on the same nest lol and thanks guys

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by