Diesel son of Suede at 18 wks. He's HUGE

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Buster, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Here he is! Diesel son of Suede. He is a big boy now- at about 18 weeks old he is as big as my laying hens that are over a year old and gaining on my salmon faverolle rooster.

[​IMG]

Here are a couple pics of him next to my year old salmon faverolle rooster Jed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here next to a salmon faverolle hen:

[​IMG]

And finally for comparison, Diesel with my Speckled Sussex rooster Mack in the background:

[​IMG]

Bear in mind that Mack is a big boy himself.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    He looks great. How is he doing in size compared to that big SS roo you have? I can't tell from the photo. You know why i want to know. LOL

3. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    WOW! He is a big guy. He sure is a beauty though!!

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

He looks great. How is he doing in size compared to that big SS roo you have? I can't tell from the photo. You know why i want to know. LOL

He's not as big but he is getting bigger all the time. The SS roo still towers over all. He is one monstrous chicken. I think that the black orp cockerel will eventually be a little bigger than the ss roo, but not by much. I know why you want to know and I am chomping at the bit already MP. Let me know if and how I can help you. LOL. I think that based on the looks of that SS roo, eggs from these SS will be a good inclusion in your project. He seems built right.​

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    LOL. Jed seems to know that he's got some fierce competition gaining on him. Just look at the way he's eye-balling Diesel! LOL

What a beautiful boy! And big to boot!!

-Kim

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Thanks! I only have Diesel in there temporarily until Diesel's girls are big enough to be in with him. I currently have 2 white, 1 black, and 2 buff orp pullets, along with a young splash orp cockerel (I think). Most of the orps will eventually go in the layer flock but will be put in with Diesel in the mean time (as soon as they get big enough to be around him- at this rate they will need help catching up.) I hope to get more BBS eggs and hatch some pullets for this big guy this fall or next spring.

7. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    He looks great. I have two black cockerals I hatched from a Fl breeder that will be four months old in July. I will take soem pics tomorrow. They are bruisers.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Nice looking guy. I love how big they get....mine are growing like weeds too.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

looks great, Jared! his comb is straighter, too, isnt it??!

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Yes, I no longer have worries about his comb. It used to be smashed looking, I'm not sure why, but it looks like it is developing just fine. I still am shocked every day when I walk out and realize how big he is. I've only had him for 7 weeks (he came here when he was 11 weeks old) and when I got him he could comfortably cuddle in DW's hand.

[​IMG]

Now he is bigger than most of 15 month old hens at 18 wks old!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by