Diesel's Dilema *GOOD UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Iowa Roo Mom, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Diesel and I just got back from the vet. Whilst there for routine business, I mentioned a "lump" that I had noticed rather deep in his caudal thigh, midway between his hock and his hip. She palpated it and then said the word no dog owner ever wants to hear. It is possibly cancer. Lymphoma, specifically. She said right now she is not sure either way, so she aspirated it to send a slide to the state veterinary clinic. The results won't be back in 'till the end of this week or the beginning of next, so until then it's just a waiting game.

So, what I want to know is; Has anyone here ever been through the treatment for Lymphoma and how hard is it on the dog?

I feel terribly guilty for even posting about it when there are people here with far worse problems, but I knew that only other "pet people" would understand my concerns. I have always been one to hope for the best and prepare for the worst. He's been there for me from day one, and I intend to give him nothing less than my very best in return.

ETA: He is 8 years old.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE: 12/30/09

Well, the vet called and the results are in...
    NEGATIVE!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

She said the slide showed no cancer cells, but eosinophils, which could come from infection or parasites. So I have to have him out at the vet's office first thing Monday morning for a biopsy of a place on his leg that we've had a hard time healing, as well as a heartworm recheck. *HUGE sigh of relief*

Thanks to everyone for all of your advice, comments, and concern. [​IMG] It is always appreciated!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  2. BarbK

BarbK Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    Indiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    OMGosh!!! I am SO very sorry!!! Bless your heart! I very fortunately know nothing about this, but just wanted to offer support. I hope it turns out non to be what it appears! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Oh honey! [​IMG]

I got nothing useful, but i'm here for you and D if you need to talk.

5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Well, was the lump under his skin or on the bone?
    My dog had surgery last week on hers, it was removed and stitched up, biopsied and reported as low level cancer, which was good - she's 13, I mean, I have to ask myself, how much can I have done to this dog at her age before I say, enough, she's 13 and it just is not fair to her.
    With that being said, also, how old is your dog, and how much do you want her to go thru before you say - enough?
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound callous, and I really, really pray the doctor tells you - "Don't worry about it"
    The vet told us that four years ago, and he was right. The only reason it was removed was because it grew too big and ruptured.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  6. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I am a licensed vet tech, and I work at an emergency clinic. I have seen many, many animals with cancer, and many who have gone through chemotherapy. My unique perspective has given me a lot of insight into what I will, and what I won't do for my own pets.

First, I commend you for seeking advise, and wanting to do what is best for your beloved pet. Too many people are selfish in such a situation and think only of what they want. Yes, we all want our pets to be with us forever, but unforunately that is not possible.

Personally, I would not do chemo on any of my own pets. It is so hard on them, and so often unsuccessful. Yes, you will hear people tell you that they did chemo for their pet, and that it worked. That is not the norm. It makes me so sad when we get an animal into the clinic for hospitalization because their chemo has made them so sick, and they are spending their last days in a kennel surrounded by strangers (albeit loving, caring strangers, but strangers all the same) rather than at home with their families, where they belong.

Our pets give us their everything, always, without question. When their time comes, there is nothing kinder or more loving we can do for them than let them go peacefully, in our arms, where they want to be most.

[​IMG]

7. Tygrepath

Tygrepath Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2009
    CT
    Bbbrrriiinnnggg

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Oh darn! I'm so so sorry roo mom... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Quote:Oh Tygre, this is the perfect time to need a new battery for my phone! [​IMG] I had meant to do it on the way home, but I totally forgot! I was a little distracted I guess... [​IMG] Just when I need to talk to a friend the most, too!!!

Thanks [​IMG]

10. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by