Diet during moult?

xjonesy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 13, 2009
Utah
From your experience, do you do anything differently when your hens are moulting in order to speed it up of help them through the moult? Any different diet, anything you add to their water? How long does the moult period usually last for your ladies?

With egg production so low this November (based on previous posts), I've read on previous posts that giving the hens some pepper can help. Have you tried that before? Is it just powdered cayenne pepper that you mix into their food?

Thanks!

I up their protein, as protein is what grows feathers.
I do this by offering yogurt, scrambled eggs, BOSS, cat food (in moderation), cheese and when I have it, gamebird feed.

My big girls have been molting since the end of August, but this is their 2nd adult molt (3rd molt total) and I expected it to take awhile. They are just about finished with it.

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't realize a moult took 2-3 months. That's good to know -- no culling yet.
smile.png
What is BOSS?

Thanks for the info.

BOSS is black oil sunflower seed. And yes, molting can take a few months. Some birds molt slowly over many months, and it doesn't seem to have a big impact on egg production, while others who lose a lot of feathers over a short time period (what I call a hard or fast molt) generally stop laying altogether for the duration. Basically any foods that are high in protein should help, along with eliminating (or drastically reducing) treats that aren't...

Back
Top Bottom