1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Diet for Chickens on the Mend

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ThePulletThatCrowed, Sep 28, 2011.

1. ThePulletThatCrowed

ThePulletThatCrowed New Egg

Sep 28, 2011
    My friend & I found biting lice on her chickens today, confirmed by the vet, so they will be treated tomorrow and soon on the mend. Obviously this has caused stress to all the birds, but there is one in particular we looked at whom I am worried about as she is quite thin. What could she feed her to try to put that weight back on and hopefully get this bird through to the other side? She is a silkie, pullet or hen, age unknown.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Welcome to BYC. I wouldnt be concerned about the weight issue right now...I'd be more concerned about rebuilding her strenth and immune system up so that she can get back to eating normally to put the weight back on. You can do this to any bird that has been stressed for one reason or another. Give her scrambled egg mixed with buttermilk in her feed, a slurry for her to eat...and the others if you wish. The scrambled egg provides extra protein to strengthen her, the buttermilk is a probiotic to help rebuild her immune system, it is easily absorbed in her digestive tract, not like yogurt which has a tendency to pass through them. Continue this for as long as it takes to get the silkie back to eating regular feed normally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by