Diet for flock with minority laying

Bat

Songster
Oct 21, 2017
good news! We got our first 2 eggs from one or both of our much maligned polish idiots in chief!

Bad news! The rest of the flock are a way off doing the same.

What should we feed them? Surely the layers will want layers pellets or some kinda calcium boost but the rooster and the growers could do without that stuff.

What’s a guy to do?

A1C1AA9F-F6C5-4C15-8937-BC9F2C7C84F7.jpeg

Lots of people with mixed ages and genders feed an all flock with oyster shell on the side. Those that need the oyster shell will get what they need without the others getting to much.

My hens much prefer pacific pearl oyster shell. I mention that because for years they never touched the other brand but readily use the pacific pearl.

Lots of people with mixed ages and genders feed an all flock with oyster shell on the side. Those that need the oyster shell will get what they need without the others getting to much.

My hens much prefer pacific pearl oyster shell. I mention that because for years they never touched the other brand but readily use the pacific pearl.

They like a certain brand of oysters? Wow so refined. Thanks! I’ll try it out :)

Another question on this topic. Perhaps a stupid one. When they are all laying and that, what about the rooster? Can he just quaff layers pellets like the rest or will he need something less chalky?

Many feed an all flock the entire lives for the whole flock so they need not worry about the rooster eating the wrong stuff.

I don't have a rooster and don't know if layer feed is horrible for them or if people are exercising caution.

I feed Flock Raiser to all with Oyster Shells on the side, chicks get Chick Starter for at least the first month or until the small bag runs out. I was not aware there are "brand" of Oyster Shells :eek:

All flock is my go to. Provide oyster for the layers to peck at. They'll self regulate.

It's not healthy for cocks to have layer feed, too much calcium. But, people do it and nothing terrible happens, but sometimes it does cause problems like gout and shorter lives. If you are willing to take that risk it's up to you, but myself I am not and I use all flock only.

Yes a separate dish. I use a plastic coffee can with an opening cut in the side.
Rabbit feeders work, whipped topping dishes, really any dish that they can get their heads in far enough to get some.

Back
Top Bottom