Diet Recipes neede! HELP!

McCord6

Away
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
Lake Butler (Union County)
Many probably already know that my husband had to have a change in what he eats. Thing is, Im not much of a cook and dont know much.

ANyone has any good, quick recipes that I can use that fit this NONO list?

NO Fatty
NO Greasy (Can Olive Oil but not GREASY)
NO Salt
NO Dairy (or VERY little)

He has a stomache Ulcer that is mild right now but if we don't change his habit, it would get worse. He usually isn't home so it's kinda ODD for me to be cooking family DINNERS. I used to just make chicken nuggets, Mac N Cheese, and some veggies, soemthing really simple cuz it's just me and the kids. NOw things are changing, BIG TIME! Im running out of ideas!

Just today I made me and him a big salad with lemon pepper chicken (BAKED). I ned more ideas though, he is going to get bored with my cooking soon and that IS NOT A GOOD THING!!!! (if he gets bored, he heads for the hamburgers!)

Pork loin is a great non-fatty meat, and there are some really lean beef cuts, too.

A good substitute for salt is a bit of balsamic vinegar in savory food. I usually put a tablespoon or two in soups and stews, and sometimes never need to add salt.

I like to get a good round steak, (pre-tenderized is good, regular is fine) cut all the fat off, dredge both sides in a flour/black pepper/herbs for beef mix, brown both sides in a pan, non-stick is fine, with a bit of olive oil or grapeseed oil, on medium high heat, then put in a baking pan with sides, like a cake or brownie pan. Then sautee some onions and mushrooms in olive oil in the same pan you browned the meat in, dump those on top of the meat, deglaze the pan with some no-salt beef broth (bring it to a boil while scraping the browned meat and onion bits off the bottom of the pan) and pour it over the meat in the baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake at 325 for two or three or even four hours, till super tender. My husband will do anything for this one!

Make soups or stews with a lean cut of meat that has had all the fat cut off. Cut the meat in chunks, brown it in the soup kettle, pour in some no salt broth or tomato juice or diced tomatoes in juice. Add favorite vegetables (there are even frozen "stew-mix" vegetables in the freezer section now) and then add water or broth to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer till vegetables and meat are tender. Add a splash or two of balsamic vinegar and herbs and spices to taste.

Check out the American Heart Association's web site. I know they've got a lot of recipes for low-salt, low-fat diets available.

Also, if it is an ulcer, is it being treated by a medical doctor? Has he been checked for the H. Pylori bacteria, which is the main cause of nearly all ulcers? Most doctors are aware of that now, but sometimes you might run across one that isn't. If he's got the H. Pylori, then a simple course of antibiotics and pepto-bismol or some other antacid usually cures it.

Good luck! Hope he feels better soon.

If he will eat soup, the try making a Matzo ball chicken veggie soup. The beauty is that you can make a big batch and have it for two nights! At the grocery store, in the ethnic food section pick up Matzo Ball mix (it is a box in the jewish food section). To cook, fill a large stock with chicken stock or broth (to as much as you want to make). Cut up veggies and toss into stock pot (I use leeks, onions, carrots, garlic and celery). If you plan to add chicken, precook chicken and toss in the cooked chicken with the veggies. Bring to boil. Meanwhile, follow directions on matzo ball mix. Add matzo balls to the soup, cover and let boil for 20 minutes. Then enjoy! It is EASY and doesn't require any measuring or nothing. The broth and everything in it has a great flavor, so no need to add spices. Plus, you get a low-cal meal packed with veggies, protein and grains! BALANCED meal!!
big_smile.png
My DH loves the soup and even asked me to pack it for his lunch.
smile.png

Quote:
Sounds really good, i guess I'll try some of this out.

Yeah, he is on medication and is seeing a dr for it. It is Pylori Bacteria Ulcer. Im trying to do more research on the subject to understand it better. From what I was told, is that it can get better but it will not go away fully. Right now we are having ALOT of problems getting his medication cuz of Medicaid "SHARE OF COST" is being a real pain in the butt and it's over $200 for his meds
ep.gif

My daughter finally got approved for SSI so Im hoping it would be a good first check so that I will be able to pay off his med and his "SHARE OF COST" issue with Medicaid.

So, my question would be what is your cooking skill level and how much time do you have to spend on meal preparation?

I have many many many recipies for low fat low salt type foods. Some of them are very simple and fast, some are very complex.

I also once had an ulcer. Nexium and a good diet took care of it though. I was allowed low sodium salts. Morton makes a good on you can find at most grocery stores, at least here in Oregon. Salt enhances flavor and you also need a bit of it in your diet. if you are eating all your food prepared at home you can control your sodium intake much better.

so, a simple low salt low fat(fat and greasy are the same thing I think. just is the fa outside the product, greasey, or inside, fatty.) low dairy recipie.

How about,

Lamb, or chicken, or whatever meat you prefer, Saag. (a kind of curry.)

take one red bell pepper seeded and chopped, 2 anahime peppers seeded and chopped, 2 cloves of fresh garlic smashed. 1 yellow onion, chopped fine, 1 tbls cumin, 1tbls corriander, 2 tsp tumeric, 1/2 tsp cayanne, 3 tbls real peanut butter making your own from some roasted peanuts gives the best flavor.
1/2 cup coconut milk,
1 tsp peanut oil or olive oil. (peanut takes the heat better, you have to be much quicker between adding oil and adding your veggies with the olive oil or the oil could smoke up and light up.
5 ounces of fresh spinach.
1 medium sized zucchini medium diced
1 medium sized yellow squash medium diced
1 bell pepper 1/4 inch thick strips.
a bag of small (1 inch) yellow or red potates cut into quarters
1/2 cup low fat plain yogurt. (organic tastes best.)
You CAN do this recipie as is with out salt, but, if you lightly salt the meat, before cooking and the sauce during the flavore will be better.

Cut up the potatoes into quaters, put on a baking sheet, spray with olive oil very lightly. dust with cumin, corriander, tumeric, and a little salt if you can.
place the tray in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

put the chopped up peppers, onion and garlic into wok or a 12"saute pan. that has been on high heat for 2 mintues. keep everything moving quickly for about a minute and a half. sprinkle lightly with salt, (just a pinch) add in the spices (the cumin, corriander, tumeric, cayanne and peanut butter. saute for another mintue and a half. add in the peanut butter and the coconut milk, stir till well mixed then add the spinach. stir until the spinach is wilted.

Take off the heat and put the whole mixture into your food processer, or blender, or if you have one take your immersion blender to the pan. Puree the heck out of it till it's all silky smooth.

Now, clean up your wok or pan.

next, put the pan back on the heat. add in the other half of the oil . (the part that did not go on the potatoes.) Add in the meat cut up into bite sized pieces.
lightly brown, about 1 mintue. (type of meat doesn't really matter I have used pork, chicken, lamb, beef, quail, turkey, and they all work out about the same.)

Next pour all that sauce you just made back into the pan over the meat, reduce to medium low heat. add in the diced veggies, stir well to coat with sauce. Add in the yogurt and stir well to mix it in. cover and cook for 5 minutes.

Taste it. season if needed.

add in the potatoes.

serve over rice plain brown or white (brown tastes better and is better for you.) , or couscous, or red quinoia (my favorite).
(if spicyness is an issue as well skip the cayanne. and change one of the anahimes to a second bell pepper.)

So, there you go, Saag curry. I like it best with lamb. or pork tenderloin. but that's just me, PM me if you want more ideas.

Last edited:
opps, I just noiced you said quick and easy.

ok then,

make a pot of brown rice,

preheat your oven to 400.

take 5 ounces of skin on descaled wild caught salmon or trout.

take a pan and heat up a table spoon of olive oil till it shimmers

pop in the fish, skin side down. sprinkle with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, black pepper and a pinch of salt.

let cook for about 2 - 3 mintues.

put the whole pan in the oven for about 5 to 7 minutes.

take it out, let the fish rest for about 2 mintues while you plate.

put the rice on your plate, put about 3 ounces of spinach on the plate, drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinager on the spinach to lightly dress the leaves.

put the fish on the plate and serve.

Quote:
Both recipes sound REALLY GOOD! The first one, I would cook when I do not have 4 lil rugrats around, LOL!. The 2nd one, I should of mentioned, NO SEA FOOD! Hubby hates sea food ( BUT I LOVE IT! )

I use alot of brown rice, dont care for regular white rice unless it's for black eye peas with Rice (hubby's fave, YUCK)

hmm.

ok, no seafood then.

take a pork tenderloin sprinkle with salt, a bunch of cumin and coriander put it in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. or until it gets to an internal temp of 138 degrees.

let it rest for 3 to 5 mintues. and then plate with rice and the spinach from the salmon recipie.

good luck I'm off to bed. PM me if you have questions www.foodtv.com has some really good easy recipies you can try as well.

Back
Top Bottom