1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Diet?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by noahsmom, Jan 21, 2013.

1. noahsmom

noahsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    Can you please explain a chicken's diet to me?

I've read that animal protein should make up around 10% of their diet..meal worms, bugs etc,..?
    We have different feed stores around but really prefer to go to tractor supply. I found a feed called Purina Layena plus Omega 3 Sun fresh recipe. http://poultry.purinamills.com/OURPRODUCTS/Products/LayenaPlusOmega3/default.aspx
    What do you think of this feed? I've read some things on the forum about the Sun fresh recipe and it seems to be well liked. What else is ideal to feed to chickens?
    I plan to feed veggies, what about fruits, what about anything? Table Scraps?

What about what NOT to feed them?

Do you constantly offer grit, oyster shells? How often with the scratch?
    Just anything you can offer to help me figure out their diet would be greatly appreciated!

2. noahsmom

noahsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    I should say I really don't like Purina as a company in general, but I'm not sure what other foods would be better and I don't believe TSC offers to many options either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by