Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by littlechick1005, Jan 31, 2013.

1. littlechick1005

littlechick1005 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Id like to add lots of variety to my hens diet, suggestions?
  2. HooDoo Mtn Farm

HooDoo Mtn Farm Out Of The Brooder

I like to raise sprouts for mine. Also, see if you can develop a relationship with a produce mgr of local grocery stores to have stuff saved for you, before it goes to their dumpster. Pretty hard sell these days, in the face of lawsuits, etc . .

Update on my sprouting system . .
    I bought a bucket for each day of the week from the Dollar store.
    Day 1 is a soaker, no holes in bottom, with a pint of whatever seed (currently lentil culls; 100 lb bag for $10!).
    Days 2-6 have holes in bottoms, nested into one another.
    I cut 4-inch-long sections of 4" dia white plastic pipe, and set one in the bottom of each bucket as spacers, so these buckets stack about 20" high.
    Day 6 bucket is at the top of the stack, & is where I run my fresh rinse water into, 2x a day (filtering down thru the stack, all set in the bathtub).
    Day 7 bucket has no holes & is in a lighted area, "greening up".

The gals get Day 7 bucket every day; day 6 goes into #7, Day one soaker bucket gets dumped into #6, which then gets rotated to the #1 (bottom) position in the stack.

That 1 pint turns into a gallon & a half of sprouts for my 2 dozen chickens.

Next on the agenda is fermenting a separate batch of seed grains, when my 100 Delaware chicks come in May
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by