Diet

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by mrwoodboat, Jan 27, 2015.

1. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chirping

Nov 25, 2012
    So, being new to pigeons, I want to make sure I am feeding my pair of fantails a good diet as it looks like they are preparing a nest now. I have been feeding them a 7 grain mix but wonder if they would do better with some gamebird crumbles mixed in with a 3 way scratch or wild bird seed?

Since I only have the pair, I am hesitant to purchase a #50 bag and have it get stale so looking for feed that is suitable. I have gamebird pellets (28%) gamebird crumbles (24%) 7 grain Rooster scratch and 20% layer pellets. also wild bird seed....

2. jak2002003

jak2002003 Crowing

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I feed mine a seed mix for doves / wild birds.. and chicken layer pellets.

The foods are in 2 different bowls.. so they can choose what they want to eat.

I also add an extra bowl of chicken chick starter crumbs when they have squabs in the nest.

They live with my bantams and they all eat each others food and seem to do very will.

3. loftkeeper

loftkeeper Songster

Nov 7, 2013
    feed the layer pellets its a complete diet nothing else needed

4. laughingdog

laughingdog Songster

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    Half layer n half scratch, works for most. but non breeding birds or ones not in extreame elements, generally do good on just good seed mix, but layer n scratch, also more protien easy n simple if with chickens n better all around, n told those fancy feathered breeds seem better at times with extra protien of layer pellets.

5. jak2002003

jak2002003 Crowing

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Yes layer pellets are great.. but I always feed seed mix too.. as its the birds natural diet and they enjoy it so much.

Layer pellets contain a lot of calcium... so feeding only layer pellets may have a bad effect on the birds health over time.. because the male pigeons, and youngsters may get too much calcium... only the laying females really need a lot.

I have read on this site that its not healthy to feed layer pellets to growing chicken chicks and roosters for this reason. And most chicken keepers don't feed layer pellets to a mixed flock for this reason.

6. laughingdog

laughingdog Songster

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    Local breeders of performance pigeons, use half n half layer n scratch. show ones mix own, use straight layer, or some few use pigeon pellets (racers really only, but some showers). The half n half guys' birds usually look best, but never see them perform or for long periods, but one omish fellow i know takes really great and loving care of birds.

The scratch grains half n half in the layer, are supposed to stop too much calcium and protein from bothering pigeons. whether true or not i don't know, but no probs for my birds but much more poop than may want too have to clean up. lol
    On another note, layer seems best n easiest for breeding time, making my squekers grow super fast fat n healthy etc (but again a lot more poop), than anything but manna pro poultry conditioner (that's a feed additive). so probably good for layer straight only during breeding if you want (given two nests each hen, she keeps breeding n lays again two weeks after last. pair hatch.. repeatedly). Then half n half layer n scratch for cold. then seeds rest of time. I I've just only had trouble from layer making fat babies. Hahaha

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  7. Falena

Falena In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2013
    Randolph County, NC
    Are you referring to chicken scratch when you say 'half layer and half scratch'? Just wondering, as I'm looking into getting a pigeon (just as a pet) myself. I was thinking of getting the dove food they sell at TSC, and offering layer as well. Would that be ok?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  8. laughingdog

laughingdog Songster

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    Pigeons do much better in pairs and still bond n come to you.
    Yeas chicken scratch, that has at least cracked corn n hopefully wheat, but best if it has everything up to peas in n then really good not needing layer, maybe just some good wild bird seed. I've had mine preffer left over budgie/grass "parakeet" feed n great results. small bags of "parakeet or wild bird seed, maybe great for just a pair. sex doesn't matter so could both be boys or both girls, if didn't want them breeding more.
    wild dove food doesn't have enough nutrition for some reason for rock doves ("pigeons"), n more for mourning doves loose knowing how to forage and suppliment diet.

9. Falena

Falena In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2013
    Randolph County, NC
    Thanks so much laughingdog! That helps out a lot! I was wondering about getting a pair, too... you must have read my mind lol!

I did get one yesterday. She was the only survivor of a fox attack, so the guy didn't want to keep her. He had been feeding them straight laying pellets, so he sold me his food too. I had some canary seed blend, so I gave her some of that as well, and she seemed to like it. I guess now I will need to find her a buddy... I'm not really interested in breeding, so it might just be a gal pal for her. :)

10. laughingdog

laughingdog Songster

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    Post pics of your new pidgys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: