dietary problems

Trefoil

Songster
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
I'm not trying to subvert the topic, but have always wondered. Isn't a person that is gluten intolerant just lacking the amino acids or digestive enzymes required to digest the gluten that most people have? And if this is true, wouldn't it be more efficient to supplement that missing enzyme than trying to avoid certain foods?
Kind of.... I'm NO expert here, but I do hope that someone chimes up; ivecread some very interesting threads on here from individuals attempting to feed based on gluten intolerance and celiac...

I agree about the missing enzymes, but I think it would be nearly impossible to get those types of enzymes from food, unless it's something as simple as a bacterial or microbial issue. I believe it has more to do with the actual RNA structure of the indigestible starches/sugars.

I also do think that it has come from generations of chemical agriculture, but I don't want to get into that lol... It's a mutation in the actual DNA in response to inability to digest this "food". As it is mostly the children that are suffering this, its hard to waffle ingredients when you do finally find something that doesn't HURT to eat.

I have to keep my own microbes in check just to be able to drink milk or eat cheese because of lactose intolerance. As long as I keep my gut flora healthy, I don't have problems. But instill can't help my genetic response to it; its the milk. I drink raw milk, and no problem. Change of diet is not always as easy as that, though, I'm afraid
sad.png
"
Edited by shortgrass - Today at 11:05 am

If a person has no problem with whole milk and problems with processed milk, isn't it more likely that they have a problem with the added ingredients (vit D supplement?) than lactose, which is in both?

Kind of.... I'm NO expert here, but I do hope that someone chimes up; ivecread some very interesting threads on here from individuals attempting to feed based on gluten intolerance and celiac...

I agree about the missing enzymes, but I think it would be nearly impossible to get those types of enzymes from food, unless it's something as simple as a bacterial or microbial issue. I believe it has more to do with the actual RNA structure of the indigestible starches/sugars.

I also do think that it has come from generations of chemical agriculture, but I don't want to get into that lol... It's a mutation in the actual DNA in response to inability to digest this "food". As it is mostly the children that are suffering this, its hard to waffle ingredients when you do finally find something that doesn't HURT to eat.

I have to keep my own microbes in check just to be able to drink milk or eat cheese because of lactose intolerance. As long as I keep my gut flora healthy, I don't have problems. But instill can't help my genetic response to it; its the milk. I drink raw milk, and no problem. Change of diet is not always as easy as that, though, I'm afraid :( "

Edited by shortgrass - Today at 11:05 am

If a person has no problem with whole milk and problems with processed milk, isn't it more likely that they have a problem with the added ingredients (vit D supplement?)  than lactose, which is in both?

From what I've learned, with my lactose problem, is its actually the processing that does it, makes it indigestible to me. The pasteurization kills the microbes, essentially sterilizing everything beneficial in it... There was a great link posted just recently, let me go find it ;)

Edit* ok the link...
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...n=20151004Z1&et_cid=DM87278&et_rid=1150961754

I wish I could remember who posted it so I could drag them in on the conversation lol but I bookmarked it and forgot which thread it came from...if I find who, I'll add it in.

I did remember!! it was @Leahs Mom that posted the link ;)

Last edited:
Hmmm... Cheese, I LOVE cheese.. I can usually do cheese without much problem, except Velveeta and that canned nacho cheese stuff..THAT kills me, fake cheese :(

I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with the different enzymes? Some cheeses are made with animal based enzymes and some are bacterial based. Found an interesting article on it..
http://www.natural-connection.com/resource/tnc_reference_library/cheese.html

On another note, about vitamin D...
http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/vitamin-d-fortification-milk-2625.html

Sunlight. Lack of sunlight is why they fortify the vitamin D....( Which, after looking at the symptoms if overdose, I might be getting TOO much of lol!) We can't absorb calcium without vitamin D (and magnesium), so because most people spend so little time getting vitamin D naturally from the sun, they add it in to the milk.

That could be an issue too, vitamin D overdose from the milk if he's already getting good amounts of sunshine and good sources from other foods..

I've been on a little mission of discovery myself, after losing more than 40 lbs in 3 months, and stomach pain from everything I eat... I'm almost thinking a gluten intolerance and not just lactose. Lactose intolerance can be a side effect of gluten intolerance.. They go hand in hand I guess. But I'm more interested and thinking of the microbes and enzymes being a key factor; if anything, so I don't have to stop eating everything under the sun ;)

Edit misspelling

Last edited:
In the vitamin D problem, I'm wondering if its the actual vitamin D or whatever is used as a "carrier".

Well, according to THIS article, (not written by a doctor, but a very smart mom) I would be looking at ALL of the additives, especially sucralose, carageenan, and aspartame... They seem to be the big gastrointestinal offenders...
http://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2014/03/30-additives-in-dairy-products-you-should-know-about/

I didn't know that some of these can be in cheese, so wow, thanks for bringing up the topic!

My doc is just going to LOVE the list of questions I have for him lol ;)

@Trefoil I thought it would interest you to know:

I went to my doc, list in hand lol... As far as MY intolerance, its NOT the milk. I am taking enzymes and so far, 3 days of no pain. After that, he wants me to cut out all meat products. I can still eat eggs, yay lol ;)

I don't know much about your grandson; ALOT if these intolerances are stemming from dietary needs that arent getting met; it can go back as far as when they were in utero. Our food these days is too sterile and we are lacking proper enzymes andcamino acids to convert the high startch diet to sugars. That's why he wants me off meat. I can't digest the high protein without help.

The irony of being a cattle rancher that can't eat beef.
:p

PS, thank you for bringing up the enzymes... Lol even the student doc in with him was taken aback by the fact that "she never would have thought of that".. I never would have thought it something so simple either ;) thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. Every little bit helps. And its fascinating.

Back
Top Bottom