diff colored eggs from same chicken??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dunedin, Nov 19, 2014.

1. dunedin

dunedin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2014
    I'm trying to figure out which hen is laying the green eggs. I have three barnyard specials. The one I was almost sure it was just laid a nice cream egg! They can't change egg color can they?

2. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    No they won't change egg colors. The eggs they lay may vary in darkness or vibrancy of color, depending upon what point of their laying cycle they are at. For example, a marans may start their laying cycle with a deep chocolate egg that lightens progressively through the cycle, until they take a break. Then the eggs start back at the darkest color. But a chicken that lays a brown egg will not suddenly lay a white or green egg one day. The egg color is coded in their genes.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Do you have a hen with black feet, or muffs and beard?

4. dunedin

dunedin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2014
    They are 3 sisters, all have yellow legs and funny little mop tops and look very sìmilar.

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Oooo, that's gonna make it tough to figure out.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Post a photo of each bird and we may be able to see subtle differences that in their similarity that would point to the culprit. Another option is to confine each bird to a separate area for a day and see what each bird lays. You could even just use a dog kennel inside the coop and rotate them in one day each if you really want to know.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Most hens will lay about the same shade, size, and shape of egg day after day, but you can occasionally get some that are quite different in shade, size, or shape. They do change over time but are usually fairly consistent day to day but there are always exceptions. But as was mentioned, blue/green does not become white/brown.

There is no way to tell for sure by looking either. Even if you see a hen in one nest and later find a specific egg in there, I’ve had hens leave a nest without laying and go lay in a different nest. It can be pretty frustrating finding out what egg they do lay.

I’m trying to keep my green egg laying pullets instead of my brown egg pullets so I do need to know which hen is laying which egg. I made some nests so I could lock a hen in there if I wanted to. When I catch a hen in a nest laying, I might lock her in a nest without any eggs to see what she is laying. That’s the only way I know for sure. I mark their legs with different colored zip ties and record my results so I can keep it straight.

I’ve heard of putting food coloring in the vent early in the morning before they lay with hopes of finding colored streaks on the eggs. I haven’t tried it myself but it might work.

I’ve also heard of putting lipstick on a vent, but I certainly have not tried that. No way do I try to explain to my wife why I’m putting lipstick on a hen’s vent. Nope, no way. Not me.

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG] Honey? Why are there feathers on my lipstick??? LMAO

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    LOL - reminds me of the cute little story that made it's rounds on the internet a while back about the lady finding out her kids had been putting chapstick on the cat's butt because it looked chapped.

10. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I can so imagine THAT conversation! [​IMG]

I'm in the same situation with my pullets right now. I need to weed out the brown layers and keep the blue/green/olive layers. I'm planning to separate them one at a time in a dog kennel to find out for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by