Diff coops geared toward diff birds.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Akronic, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Akronic

Akronic Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2011
    Hello I am new to the forum, and I am planning on building a coop/run for several pairs of grouse. My friends mother raised ring neck pheasants and every year several families of grouse will hang out on the property and mingle a lilttle but mainly just get a free meal. anyway they have become very tame over the years and we even kept one for a short period to see how it would do. i know it's not right to capture wild animals and thats not my intent, I have found a couple breeders who have non-wild stock prob F-6 generation. anyway i will be building a large enclosure and run for them. is there anything specific that i need to take into account when gearing this toward grouse. i know i will need fresh spruce bows and med branches to place around for cover and natural appeal. i can replicate the outdoor enviroment almost exactly, but it's the inside of the coop/roost and nesting areas that im kinda lost on. if any of you nice members could possible point me in the right direction i would really appreciate it. Danke!

2. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    First [​IMG]

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You might want to check out the section farther down the page for pheasants and partridge. There might be some grouse owners down there. They discuss housing and flight pens there, too.

4. Akronic

Akronic Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2011
    Thanks, yeah i was trying to post in the correct area. will my topic get flagged if i repost it in the pheasant section. also it seems like there is a moderate amount of interest but very few ppl actually practicing. i realize they are difficult to raise, so most ppl say. I will post what info i have in the other section. thanks again

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think we do have a lot more people with chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys and quail, than grouse. You might get more people interested and started in grouse. You never know. People get a lot of inspiration on this forum!

If the mods want something moved, they'll do it. I do see housing for the other bird species discussed in the other sections, so I think that's okay. I was just hoping there might be some information there that would help you.

Good luck on your project!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by