Difference between a white rock and white leghorn peep????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by heritagebirds, Apr 19, 2009.

1. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    Does anybody know how one would tell the diff? I went to Tractor Supply... I love this support group, but it sure doesn't help CURB the chicken addiction [​IMG] [​IMG] Thank you for any help I also got some RIRs and some that are lighter than the RIRS,we'll see, I guess

2. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Rocks have a strikingly yellow leg color.
    Leghorns have a pale yellow leg color.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Rocks will have red earlobes; leghorns will have white earlobes.

4. cindyanne1

cindyanne1 Mother Goose

Apr 19, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I am wondering the exact same thing!!

On April 8, we bought 6 little yellow peepers from TSC that were called "assorted pullets" although they all looked the same. Here is what they looked like then (forgive the red lighting, lol):

[​IMG]

And here is one now:

[​IMG]

Then, the following week, TSC had a new shipment of several assorted breeds and we got 6 Red Star sex-linked chicks from the "assorted pullets" bin.

[​IMG]

I was under the assumption the first set of chicks we bought were Leghorns, but now I'm starting to wonder if they could be white Plymouth Rocks. I would love for them to be Rocks (I'd be happy with Leghorns, too... but I just love the way Rock chickens look!)

Here's a few shots of the group today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, I would also love to know a way to tell the difference between white Rock and white Leghorn chicks. In all the pictures I've seen, they look very similar! [​IMG]

5. denimeggs

denimeggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    OK, so I have 13 week old white birds with very yellow legs and white ears, and blue eyes. They have full bodies and are the friendliest birds that came in the mix from McMurrays. Which would these be? And I have 1 same sized white bird, no muff, white ears, and willow legs. What is she?

6. addictedtochickens

addictedtochickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    When I got my brown leghorn chicks they looked like miniature chipmunks. Even the white ones I have seen have the chipmunk pattern but with slightly lighter shades of brown. I don't know I am kinda new to chickens, hope it helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by