Difference between Bantam roo crow and LF roos crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hcammack, Jun 19, 2008.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Hi I would really like to get a rooster for my hens! but I live in a residential area so I have to have a relatively quite rooster. I have all LF hens but I don't need to breed towards anything I am just interested in hatching some of my own chicks. I want to hear the differences between having a LF and banty roo. And what is the difference in noise level?

Thanks in advance,
    Henry

2. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Oh and does anyone have a recording of both crowing? I have to convince my parents and neighbors.

Henry

3. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    If you google chickens crowing on "youtube" you will hear some crowing [​IMG]

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Henry, my bantam roo crows loud and high pitched. If I can I'll try to get out there tomorrow morning and see if I can record them crowing on my camera , if not tomorrow sometime this weekend. [​IMG]

5. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    sara Thanks so much as you know I am on a quest for a rooster. Will you have any buff orph pullets at the end of the summer? I just saw a picture of them while I was checking out your website for the 10th time in a week [​IMG] and I could slip a little guy in there buy accident [​IMG]

debakadeb I will check youtube thanks

I WANT A ROOSTER !!!! I want to hatch my own chicks

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I wonder why... if they breed Longcrowers for their LONG crow.... why hasn't someone bred a quiet roo? [​IMG] LOL

Good luck! I have heard mixed things about roos and volume.... some say bantams are quieter, some say just as loud and frequent [​IMG] I think maybe it depends on the actual roo itself. Maybe some will have smaller voices than others.

7. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    maybe thats my next breeding project get a bunch of rooster and eat the loud ones [​IMG]

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Henry, Also very possible on the buff orp pullets as I am planning on switching from buff orps to black orps. I need to have two for another gal, but I think I have two for her in the barn already.

9. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Bantams have a higher pitch, slightly softer crow, and a standard breed will have a louder, deeper crow (depending on the breed, and rooster).

10. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    thats great I looked at your pictures and realized those were some beautiful high quaility orphs and I want some broody girls and I need some normal brown eggers so they should be perfect. I will maybe get a few if it turns out I don't go get a few bbs orphs from missprissy. I will need to get driving hours in any way [​IMG] .

Cuda these would probably be ameraucanas sara has the fathers of the ones I was thinking about so her recording will be really helpful.

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by