Difference between Barred Rock and Barred Holland?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by twoisforjoy, Apr 6, 2017.

1. twoisforjoy

twoisforjoy Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Uxbridge, MA
    Hey guys! What are some of the differences between the barred rock and the barred holland, besides the obvious of rarity? Also! Where would I go to find breed standards? Is there even such a thing?

I'm still in the "hmm is this a good idea?" phase of thinking about trying to get barred hollands (never even mind the "it is, so let's do specific research!" phase), and to my untrained eye, pictures on the internet of the two look p much the same. I'm assuming that's not actually the case. [​IMG] Like, do hollands have fancier tails and thinner black bars? Or is it down the minutae like the holland has six points on their comb and the rock has... idk, 4, the actual numbers are not important at this point in time.

To be clear! I'm not, like, worried about going to get hollands and being given barred rocks on the sly, I'm just curious.

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    You can buy a copy of the "American Standard of Perfection"its written by the American Poultry Association (APA) and it contains all standards and information on all breeds of poultry you can breed.

Both Hollands and Plymouths are in the American Class, Plymouth was admitted 1874 and the Hollands were admitted in 1949
    Hollands weigh less, Cocks weighing 8.5lbs and Hens weighing 6.5lbs and Plymouths Cocks weigh 9.5lbs and Hens weigh 7.5lbs
    Hollands have 6 comb points and Plymouths have 5 comb points

Plymouth Rocks are assumed are mixes of dominique X cochins/java while (barred) Hollands are mixes of white leghorns, barred plymouths, austrolorps and brown leghorns.

Those are the main differences I could find in the standards :)

buterflysbeauty likes this.
  3. twoisforjoy

twoisforjoy Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Uxbridge, MA
    Thank you!!

4. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Of course! :D

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG].

If you get them from a hatchery, there honestly may not be a ton of difference in looks. Hollands will be a touch lighter, and more upright built than a Rock, but at first glance they'll be pretty similar.

I had Hollands from Ideal and wasn't thrilled with them. I wanted a barred, white egg layer for a breeding project. Should have gone with California Greys. The Hollands really didn't lay that well, despite being touted as a production-based breed. Seems like they were slower to mature, also.

I know there's a thread here about barred Hollands, you can contact breeders and they may well have better quality stock than I had from the hatchery.

6. twoisforjoy

twoisforjoy Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Uxbridge, MA
    Thank you! I'm quietly stalking the thread I think you're talking about, waiting for the opportune moment to jump out and yell 'boo!'. And then ask to buy eggs/chicks. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by