difference between boy and girl gosling beaks??? anyone??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by M0therGoose, Apr 7, 2009.

1. M0therGoose

M0therGoose Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Pasadena, Texas
    Do the white chinese gosling boys have a little larger/wider beak than the girls??? I am giving away all but 2 of my 11 day goslings tomorrow morning but want to keep a boy and girl. Any way to tell by the beaks? I notice some of the heads and beaks are a tad smaller than the others... could they be girls?

2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    That is what the lady that I bought my Chinese from said. I hope it's true because that would mean I have 2 females and a male. The one that we think is a male is the more talkative, and seems to be the leader. He's also started honking a little once in a while. They are about 2 weeks old, so it is still too early to be certain.

Good luck!

Shelly

3. M0therGoose

Apr 1, 2009
    Pasadena, Texas
    the one we think is a boy seems to be more clingy and have more separation anxiety. i don't know if that is a sign of a boys personality or not.

4. M0therGoose

Apr 1, 2009
    Pasadena, Texas
    the one we think is a boy is also more personable.

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    I think it is a old goose tale. But if you see a difference wide=gander narrow=goose is the way to bet. since they do have that difference as adults.

6. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The one we think is a boy is a lot more vocal. He will also protect the other two if the chickens get too close. He actually hissed the other day at one of the chickens! [​IMG]

It seems like his beak is getting "taller", too. Right above the nostrils. Not enough to call it a bump, but just "thicker".

Shelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by