Difference between Chick Starter crumbles and Egg Layer crumbles both non medicated

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kelciesducks, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Kelciesducks

Kelciesducks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2012
    Ok here's a question for you...I'm new to chickens and baby ducks. We've got 7 Chickens that I'm feeding Egg layer crumbles to (as well as cracked corn)...the chickens are all adults. And I've got 5----2 week old Baby Saxony Ducks that I'm feeding Chick Starter Crumbles. They're all in the same coop. I've been keeping the baby ducks seperate (in a rabbit cage in the same coop as the chickens). Last night I let them out for a bit so they could wander around the coop. All of the chickens were very good with them and didn't bother them at all. I put them back into their rabbit cage at night because I wanted to make sure they would be safe during the night.

What's the difference between the chick starter and the egg layer? Does the chick starter have different nutrients in it? Do I need to make sure the ducks ONLY get the chick starter and none of the egg layer?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    The layer crumbles have calcium in them, so you're hens can have nice strong shells. Calcium isn't good for a developing baby birds body, though a little wont hurt them. I've never had any ducks, but I've had geese, and I've always fed them gamebird or waterfowl crumbles. Waterfowl require niacin, and if they aren't getting it they can develop leg problems. So, to answer the question- no, a little bit of the layer feed isn't going to hurt the ducklings. But they shouldn't be fed a diet of nothing but layer feed. Good luck!

3. Kelciesducks

Kelciesducks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2012
    oh okay that makes sense. I've got the baby ducks out of the rabbit cage now that I know the chickens get along with them. They've been eating some grass, rabbit hay/straw, and moss and LOVING the freedom of being able to roam around. They're so dang cute!!!! I'm watching them very closely so nothing happens to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by