Difference between combs...I'm confused

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by peepinator, Sep 10, 2010.

1. peepinator

peepinator Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2010
    God's Country Idaho
    I'm just wondering what the difference between a walnut comb, a rose comb and a cushion comb is??? Can anyone post pics of these three different combs? Are they different or is it possible that there are different names for the same comb? Thanks...

2. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    There are lots of web sites out there that show what the different comb types are. Some have illustrations, some have pictures, all that I've ever looked at seem to get it right. Here's one that lists a number of breeds that have each type, which is nice: http://www.freewebs.com/professorchickenscolours/combtypes.htm

3. peepinator

May 30, 2010
    God's Country Idaho
    Wow! Thanks for that link, that's the best site I've seen for chicken breed info [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  5. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    Quote:Wow, this is a great link. I was looking for this type of pictures a few months ago. The V comb looks truely evil. [​IMG]

6. peepinator

May 30, 2010
    God's Country Idaho
    Thank you gryeyes!!! Another great link! These two links that were posted for me are the best I've run across...thanks again so much folks...this will help others too [​IMG]

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Cushion
    •A solid low, moderately small comb; smooth on top, the front, rear and sides are nearly straight with rounded corners. It has no spikes.

Rose
    •A broad comb, nearly flat on top, covered with regular points, and finished with a spike or leader. It varies in length, width, and carriage according to breed.

Walnut
    •A comb that resembles one half of a walnut meat in appearance.

Raspberry
    •A comb somewhat resembling a raspberry cut through its axis (lengthwise) and covered with small protuberances.

Strawberry
    •A low comb that is set well-forward. The shape and surface resemble the outer part of half a strawberry, with the large end nearest the beak of the chicken.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by