Difference between Cuckoo and Barred rooster?

bheila

Songster
11 Years
Feb 8, 2008
Kent, Wa
So how can I tell the difference between a Barred Rock rooster and a Cuckoo Maran rooster. I thought I was getting a Barred Rock rooster and then I just saw a picture of a Cuckoo Maran rooster who has a white feather in his tail feathers and so does my rooster. I'm confused. Help please. Sorry I don't have a picture of my guy. I was going to start breeding him to my Barred Rock hens for purebred chicks, but now I can't for fear my customers won't get what they ordered.

Last edited:
Barred Rocks have yellow legs and Marans have white or "pearl" legs.

Maran cock:
MaransMaleLt.JPEG

Production Barred Rock cock:
BRRoo3.07.2.jpg

Last edited:
I will be checking him out right after I take the kids to school. Thanks so much. So much to learn just doesn't seem to be enough time. I love this website! Thanks again.

hahaha! I THOUGHT he looked familiar for some reason!

There are some new photos when you google Barred Rock. I'm happy about that! At least SOME people are getting into chickens again! lol! Gotta love 'em!

He looks like he was VERY loved!

Quote:
Should be that way, but hatchery BRs are muddying the waters a bit. I rarely see a BR today with really straight barring, though mine are getting better and better the further from the hatchery they get, on down the line.

Back
Top Bottom