1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Difference Between Hatchery and Breeder Stock-Pics

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenlady, Dec 9, 2007.

1. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    This is amazing to me. The pullet on the left is a 7 month old from Ideal Hatchery, the pullet on the right is a 5 month old from a true cochin breeder. Just wanted to share the size difference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] How'd you get em to pose so well for you!
    They sure are cute! Perhaps the one is a bantam, it sure is smaller!!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sure looks like the hatchery one is a bantam! Maybe they got some mixed up in their stock they sent.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The real question is which one meets the standard of perfection for the breed. The Ideal one could be smaller, but is it the right weight and the other one oversized? Or is the bigger one the right weight and the hatchery one undersized? A picture can only say so much. The true test is the actual measurement in comparison to the standard of perfection. Great pics tho.

Jody

5. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    That is just amazing!! To get a perspective, how tall is each one? Now I am wondering how my Bella is in comparison.

6. silkiechicken

Quote:Very true. I don't know what the standard of perfection is on these guys so I have no idea what is the best weight range.

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The OP doesn't mention if they are supposed to be standard or bantam, but here are the requirements based on the standard. I would take weights on them at the same age timeframe (ex: when each reaches 7 months) to know for sure how they compare.

Standard pullet - 7 lbs & hen 8.5 lbs

Bantam pullet - 26 oz & hen 28 oz.

Jody

8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Thats interesting.....if the small one is developing so much slower....i wonder why the comb and waddles are way bigger [​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

Quote:It's probably because the little one is two months older than the big one. [​IMG]

10. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    The smaller one is definately not a bantam. I think this just shows the difference between hatchery quality and show/breeder quality. Here is the smaller one with my largest bantam, a d'uccle cockeral.

[​IMG]

The smaller one at 7 months old weighs 5 1/2 pounds and the larger 5 month old weighs 8 pounds. The smaller one is about 15 inches high while the larger one is roughly 17 1/2 inches high. You should see the cockeral who came with her, OMG!!! Very Large!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by