Difference between Mallard and Rouens? (6wks)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by IcarusSomnio, Aug 27, 2010.

1. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    An acquaintance of mine e-mailed me this morning asking if I could possibly take three six week old ducklings. I said sure, since at six weeks they can happily march around the yard and enjoy the pond...and because I think they are just so darned cute.

Unfortunately...he has no idea what they are! [​IMG] They're either Mallards or Rouen ducklings, that much I'm sure of. But which breed they are exactly...I haven't a clue. It's unfortunately been a while since I've kept Rouen ducklings around so my memory of the breed is vague. These guys seem rather smallish, but in comparison to my two rather large Pekin's, everything seems kinda small [​IMG]

They have some pretty hefty claws on their feet. One is definitely a hen, one definitely a drake, and the third can't seem to make up it's mind yet. Sounds like it's voice is changing, so either it's a late quacker or an early drake.

They're just getting in the wing feathers. I'm kinda leaning towards Mallard ducklings, it seems like my Rouens where a lot larger at that stage. More like hefty, like a young Pekin, versus the smallness of these guys. Perhaps their stunted Rouens [​IMG]

If they do turn out to be Mallards, do I need a permit to keep them? Do I need to clip them to keep them from migrating to the Bahama's for the winter? Do they need different food (I'm feeding Purina Flock Raiser crumbles)? Do they brood well? Lay many eggs or few?

At the moment they're all in the chicken tractor so they can accumulate to the new yard better. They have four fuzzy bunnies to keep them company (they all have previous experience in the 'raising' of ducklings and chickens). Plus a biiiig Tupperware container of water to keep them amused for the time being.

2. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    When I got mallards, I was told that mallards have two dots by their eye as a baby and rouen's have a line( or maybe the other way around. I am pretty sure its two dots mallards. However I did have a mallard cross that had the dots by the eye. As adults I don't know because I have always gotten mallards.

I love ducks but they messed up my new pond in a hot hurry. Gross little beasts. Wish I could have been more help.

Lanae

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    When adults mallards will be a little smaler.
    The main thing you will have to remember is that if they are true mallards then they will fly and if they are mallards then you will have to get a (Federal) Migratory Bird Permit.

Chris

4. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    I think they have stripes behind the eyes. They're certainly panicky little boogers, I put them back in the chicken tractor because they picked a corner of the yard and piled up there. Didn't want to come out for food or water. Figures [​IMG]

5. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I'm sorry, but both of the previous posters gave you incorrect information. You might also get better answers on the duck board. The main distinctions between Mallard and Rouen ducklings are the color and to a lesser extent the size (of course, as they grow, Rouens end up being considerably bigger when full grown). As far as color, Rouens tend to be darker and have two distinct eye-stripes. Mallard ducklings generally have only one eye stripe (this is not always the case though, but does seem to be pretty reliable).

As far as the migratory bird permit, no, you do *not* need one. Captive Mallards just have to be marked by toe clipping, which is what I imagine all of the hatcheries do (the bigger ones like Metzer's certainly do). If the bird has one eye stripe and is missing a toe, you can be pretty confident it is a Mallard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by