Difference between OE and Ameraucana chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fur-mum, Mar 5, 2017.

1. fur-mum

fur-mum Just Hatched

Mar 5, 2017
    Oklahoma City
    Is it possible to determine the difference at birth? We got 10 ameraucana eggs and 16 olive egger hatching eggs. Problem is they're all in the same incubator. So is there a way to determine which are which after they hatch or will we have to wait til they feather out? We have limited space and won't be able to keep them all, we will be re-homing the rest. I believe the olive eggers are blue ameraucana x french black copper maran (F1). And then the breeder kept breeding the olive eggers back to olive eggers. (F1xF1).

2. BYC910

BYC910 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] If it's a first time cross then the feathered legs should be present at hatch . Ameraucanas have almost no comb at hatch and puffy cheeks while the Marans have prominent combs very quickly after hatch . And those are the best markers other than leg color . Blue Ameraucanas will have slate gray legs . The Marans will be more white or yellow or even black so you'll end up with a lighter or darker gray .

1 person likes this.
  3. BYC910

BYC910 Overrun With Chickens

Oh forgot to ask what kind and color are the Ameraucanas ?

4. fur-mum

fur-mum Just Hatched

Mar 5, 2017
    Oklahoma City
    The breeder had both blue and splash Ameraucanas (which I know is homozygous for the blue gene). So i'm expecting the Ameraucana chicks to be blue.

5. fur-mum

fur-mum Just Hatched

Mar 5, 2017
    Oklahoma City
    thanks for your help!

6. LadyBhugg

LadyBhugg New Egg

Mar 25, 2017
    Sounds like the chick's I just got. The olive Eggers I got were splash and the Ameraucana blues. Could tell in about 2 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by