Difference between run and coop bedding?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by waterchecker, Oct 17, 2013.

1. waterchecker

waterchecker New Egg

Oct 11, 2013
    HI! I am a new chicken owner and am transitioning my 6-7week old hens from a smaller hutch to a new coop I just built. The coop part is an 8X10 shed that I added roosts and nesting boxes to for the girls. It has a plywood floor which I am going to paint with the rubberized roof coat. The run part is 10X12 and covered in chicken wire with a natural dirt floor. I get confused when I see some posts on here about which bedding is appropriate. SHould I have different bedding inside the shed than outside in the run area? I am getting ready to move this girls in this weekend, so any suggestions would be great...
    By the way, I was planning on shavings with DE and stall fresh inside, and maybe sand outside?

Thanks a Bunch!!

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Unless you have a covered run sand is your best bet for that. Actually in my own opinion sand is best for the run no matter what as it's easy to keep clean and it drains very well. And shavings for the coop are fine.

3. waterchecker

waterchecker New Egg

Oct 11, 2013
    Yes, my run is uncovered...I live in San Diego. Do you add anything to the sand and shavings?

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Nope, nothing added here. The only thing I do is when I strip the coop in the spring and fall I dust it with Poultry Dust and then put down the new bedding. I've never had a mite/lice problem but I do so anyway to help prevent. I used DE for a couple of years but decided I had better places to spend my money so I gave it up. I keep a clean barn and coops and I have not seen a difference between using DE and not using it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  5. waterchecker

waterchecker New Egg

Oct 11, 2013
    Thnks for your prompt advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by