Difference in egg colors, will I be able to tell?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickengirl1304, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Chickengirl1304

Chickengirl1304 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    California
    I have blue laced red wyandottes and am wondering if their egg color will differ enough from my others? I have barred rocks, RIRs, and new hampshires. Their eggs are light to medium brown. What do blrw eggs look like? Anyone have pics of theirs? Thanks :)

2. Conchis

Conchis Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Georgia
    I'm hatching a few BLRW eggs. They look just like my other light brown eggs. Here is a pic of my hatching eggs. The light brown ones are the blrw. I don't think that I could tell them from my Wyandotte or Orpington eggs for that matter.

[​IMG]

3. Chickengirl1304

May 5, 2012
    California
    Oh man they look just like my barred and RIRs too eek. Thank you for the pic :)

4. Conchis

Conchis Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Georgia
    I don't think you're going to be able to rely on egg color. Maybe there is some other way, but I sure don't know it.

5. Chickengirl1304

May 5, 2012
    California
    I will have to separate them and see if they're laying they're young and just about at point of lay. But then again moving them may upset them and make them stop or wait longer haha

6. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

I have heard of people putting food coloring in a hens vent. Apprently the egg with come out with some of the dye on it. I have never done it myself and I really don't know if it will work. But it is something you could look into. I also don't know how your hens will like it! [​IMG]

7. Chickengirl1304

May 5, 2012
    California
    Haha! That's funny and something I might actually try:)

8. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    You should be able to tell by size, maybe. They will be "new layer" sized little eggs. You can only hope! Also, sometimes different breeds lay different shapes. My Dominiques lay light brown pointy eggs and the partridge rocks are more rounded off at the small end. Good luck, and I hope they lay soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by