Difference in feed consumed per breed...BO,SSussex,Welsummer???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Intheswamp, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    I'm still pondering my breed choice to start my flock out with. I've been pretty well settled on buff orps or *maybe* one of the color variations of orps but got to thinking about feed consumption...

There are two other breeds that are in the running...Speckled Sussex and Welsummers

It seems that the Henderson chicken list shows the buff orp (8#) as having the largest hens. The Speckled Sussex (7#) are the next largest giving up about a pound to the BOs. Then comes the Welsummers (6#), roughly two pounds lighter than the BOs.

Of the three, the Speckled Sussex are listed (Henderson's list) as being the most productive layers and apparently lay consistently large eggs while the other two breeds are not quiet as productive and produce med/large eggs. It also appears that the Sussex lays a lighter colored egg.

Now for the question...(drum roll please)....Would there be much difference in the feed bill between these three breeds of chickens? it makes sense that a lighter bird would eat less than a heavier bird. If the Speckled Sussex is actually more productive and eats less than the orps then it might be a more cost efficient egg producer.

Feedback is definitely welcomed!!!
    Ed
    (PS...can you tell I'm beginning to stress over this [​IMG] )

2. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Humm....hard to say about the feed. I think the Orpington might eat more, but I have never seperated mine and conducted a trial. I have to say that my speckeld sussex layed up until this year on almost a daily basis. Last year she would have been between 4 and 6 years old. (I'm not sure of her age because someone abandoned her in my yard.)

3. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:A four+ year old chicken laying almost daily...not a bad reference! Sounds like she ended up being a *nice* "walk on". [​IMG]

Ed

4. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    A friend of mine keeps Wellies precisely because they are good foragers and thus don't need as much food. If you're not free ranging them, it stands to reason the bigger the girl, the more she eats.

I really want Speckled Sussex this spring. I did read on here a couple accounts of them being real "pigs."

My BO eats, but she also has laid daily for about 4 months straight now. She's just a hatchery girl.

SS and BO's will certainly range, and love doing it as well.

I choose ALL 3!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by